Go Down

Topic: Multiple Servos & Arduino (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

mikealude

Hi All,

I'm an arduino super beginner and I am just about to order some parts. I'd really appreciate it if someone could have a glance over my drawing and let me know if I'm missing anything. I'm intending to attach 6 6V servos to my arduino each with their own power supply:

Im planning on using 6 MG995(4.6-6V) servos so would it be best to up the batteries to 9V?

Will I need any other components?

I found this http://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/Servo and I'm not sure why I can only have a maximum of 12 servos off my arduino uno when I have 13 output pins?

Thanks for your Help,

Mike

AWOL

Im planning on using 6 MG995(4.6-6V) servos so would it be best to up the batteries to 9V?

No, but having a six volt battery per servo is wasteful.
Just have one battery capable of supplying enough current to all your servos.
Rule-of-thumb, allow 1 amp per servo.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Ro-Bot-X

Arduino actually has 14 digital pins that can be used as outputs, plus 6 analog pins that can also be used as digital outputs. So, pin wise, you can connect 20 servos to an Arduino. But the Servo library can handle only 12 servos without problems, but you might want to try out the SoftwareServo library that may be able to handle more. I never tried using more than 12, but I'm working on a project where I'll use 12 servos plus another one to pan a sensor to find a clear path for the robot to go. I will generate pulses for the last servo by turning the pin High for the required microseconds then turn it Low and run the code during the rest of the 20 milliseconds period, then loop. I hope it'll work fine.

BTW, I made a board especially for this project: the uServotino robot controller.

Go Up