Go Down

Topic: A solution for Arduino Uno (smd) and Ubuntu. (by a beta tester) (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

jnogues

Hi All,

I finally found the solution for Arduino Uno and Ubuntu.

First, reflash the 8u2.

Second, In my case has been run as sudo the IDE:

sudo ./arduino-0022/arduino

So far it seems to work.

Thanks to everyone for the help and sorry for my bad temper when things do not work.

Jaume Nogues
Vall Hebron Tech School
Barcelona

mrtaylor

I'm thinking you could add a rule to udev and avoid running arduino as root.  It would probably look something like this:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="1781", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0c9f", GROUP="adm", MODE="0666"

You will have to change this for your Uno.  This one is for my usbtiny.  I got the values from lsusb command.  I don't have a Uno yet, its being shipped, so I don't know what the values would be. 

Good job on getting your arduino to work   :)

westfw

Second, In my case has been run as sudo the IDE:

Really?  Even though you confirmed that your userid was in group "dialout" ?
That's very odd.

mrtaylor

westfw: Your right that should be checked first and maybe check the /dev/???? owner/group also.

usbtiny shows up as /dev/bus/usb/005/047 with owner/group as root/adm and not as /dev/ttyUSB? Hence the reason for the udev rule.

pluggy

I reckon how the IDE was installed is at the root (sic) of such problems as this.  Mine runs fine without root access, or doing any messing with access rights at all.  I'm going to do a walkthrough for installing Arduino on Ubuntu 10.10 (won't be 64 bit, since the old crock I'll be using doesn't do 64 bit)

pluggy

As promised :

"Complete Numpties Guide to Arduino on Ubuntu" :  http://www.pluggy.me.uk/arduino-ubuntu/

Howto Install Arduino 0022 on 32 bit Ubuntu 10.10

Just got to put it on the Ubuntu page on the playground so the world can find it.......

Noorman

Just a little shortcut:

Install "arduino 0018" with apt-get or synptic package manager and everything you need will be installed in one go.
Then delete "arduino 0018" and download and install "arduino 0022" in eg. /opt/arduino
Then you can make a panel or menu entry that points to /opt/arduino/arduino and you are done.

Tested and working on 32bit ubunto 10.10 (installed it on 3 machines this way).
Works with Uno and Mega boards

Cheers, Peter
2B || !2B

... bonding electrons and bits!

westfw

"Complete Numpties Guide to Arduino on Ubuntu" :  http://www.pluggy.me.uk/arduino-ubuntu/

Can you add a dump of the versions for gcc/avrdude/etc (the pieces that are installed from places other than Arduino.cc) of "known working" installs ?

Just a little shortcut:
Install "arduino 0018" with apt-get or synptic package manage...
Then delete "arduino 0018" and download and install "arduino 0022"

I like that idea!

pluggy

Can you add a dump of the versions for gcc/avrdude/etc (the pieces that are installed from places other than Arduino.cc) of "known working" installs ?

Could you translate that so a stupid Englishman can understand it ?

My method is what I've always used, I pre-date the repository install by a good few versions, I first installed 0012 on Ubuntu 8.10. I've never used the Repository version at all, from what I've read on here, it can be problematic.  I stick with what I know works, the walkthrough is raw new install of Ubuntu 10.10 to working Arduino 0022

I assume the avrdude is whatever comes with the IDE, gcc is whatever Ubuntu installs as default, the gcc-avr and avr-libc are standard ubuntu repository stuff, Its worked for at least the past 4 versions of Ubuntu, I can't see any point in changing anything.

Since I have the old crock to play with I suppose I could experiment a bit without risking screwing up my main machine. Its just time.........

pluggy

Putting the repository 0018 on top of my install doesn't break anything (both versions work). I'm confused by what you mean by delete "arduino 0018".  Is this the shell script in /usr/bin, what appears to be the main package in /usr/share/arduino , the graphical menu buried somewhere in Gnome or removing the whole thing again with apt/Synaptic ?

Go Up