Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Moving a project off the Arduino?  (Read 1204 times)
Central UK
Hard of Thinking
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all, wasn't sure how to search this one so apologies if this is the millionth time it has been asked!

Only recently started using the Arduino.  Have a programming background - albeit years ago - so finding the physical circuits more of a challenge than the sketch side at the moment, but learning huge amounts from this forum (must admit that it's slow going!)

I'm working on projects where basically small=good and very small = even better.
Once I'm happy with an arduino project, what is the next step if it is something I want to keep and use?
Buy a new Arduino or take the Arduino out of the equation and build the thing again using just a chip and the components I require? If so can I use one of the smaller chips such as on the mini or nano?
Just wondered what other people do after the prototyping is over and you actually want to use the thing?

Many thanks in advance.

Who doesn't like blinking LEDs
View Profile

some links:
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/Standalone
http://www.instructables.com/id/uDuino-Very-Low-Cost-Arduino-Compatible-Developme/
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/AtmegaStandalone

It's also possible, I think, to program the chip in the arduino board you already have, then pull it out and put it in the circuit that you want. Overall, though, even with an external programmer, the project is simple enough to do.

Western New York, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

or take the Arduino out of the equation and build the thing again using just a chip and the components I require?
Yes!

If so can I use one of the smaller chips such as on the mini or nano?
Not very easily.  The code would have to be recompiled for the smaller chip and then you would have the problem of actually programming the chip.

Don
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 12:18:05 pm by floresta » Logged

Lancashire, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

I use a standard through hole 168 or 328 programmed with a sketch built onto stripboard with the circuit (or connections to external bits).  I use a socket for a the chip and a ceramic resonator instead of a crystal for cost.  They are usually smaller than a Duemilanove but not as small as they could be using SMD parts.  Cheap smiley

Nottingham, UK
Wait! Don't touch that wire...
View Profile

And another reason for using a resonator is that you don't then need the capacitors on the crystal. That saves you pennies/cents, but saves more in layout.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

If accurate timing is not an issue don't even bother with the xtal/resonator and use the internal 8MHz oscillator.

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Lancashire, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

I always maintain the extra problems gained by running it at an unstable non-standard speed weren't worth the pennies for a resonator, but each to their own.   smiley

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I too so far have always used 3 pin 16mhz resonators for my standalone builds. Makes it simple to just swap chips from the Arduino board to the standalone during development without having to burn different fuses set-ups, just using the standard bootloader or use just ICSP to program the chip.

Lefty

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: