Go Down

Topic: shift register code info (Read 869 times) previous topic - next topic

tigerbomb8

i need help, i plan on making a 10x10 led matrix using the 74HC595 shift register. i was looking at the info on http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ShiftOut but the code is still confusing me. so i would like to know if anyone can explain better or put a link up to a good tutorial.

Yankee

The way I have been learning Arduino-craft (including shift registers) is to simply build what is shown in the tutorials (yes, and make mistakes). You will learn that way. I really don't think I've seen an easier to follow tutorial than the one you pointed to. Just take it one step at a time until you understand enough to reach your goal.

liudr

I might be more inclined to do 8X8 since a 595 shift resistor has 8 outputs and 8X8 needs two of them. The tutorial is pretty good. What part of it confuses you?

Stanley

I got a 8x8 LED Matrix but the size is too big to fit into a breadboard and too small for two breadboard combined..

Try to get those that can fit easily into the breadboard for testing/learning..

nRF24L01+ UNO Adapter for Sale :-
http://arduino-for-beginners.blogspot.com/p/nrf-adapter-for-sale.html

headTuner

hey you can make the same without shift registers,if you  wish to do it just for fun. watch my blog
sattarnoonari.blogspot.com
i can help you with my code, i made that as simple as possible.

timcki

The 8x8 rgb matrix i use with my breadboard, I got from e-bay which is 60mm by 60mm square...
It is a hard shape to fit on the 2 breadboards, but at my local electronics shop I got a 40 pin pin socket/header
like the ones used on shields.  I cut 2 sections of 16 pins. The extra long pins can be bent slightly to fit on 2 breadboards no problem..
this also allows room under the matrix for the wires to be placed.

Another alternative  it to use 2 PC ide ribbon cables but you will have to figure out which wires to use at the connector.
Signatures are stupid!

CrossRoads

Feb 17, 2011, 06:29 am Last Edit: Feb 17, 2011, 06:39 am by CrossRoads Reason: 1
So, you want to make something like this, but in a 10x10 array, yes?
http://www.mpja.com/download/18460op.pdf
Wire up the LEDs, don't forget the current limit resistor.
To use it, shift out 2 bytes for the Y with 0 = LED on & 1 = LED off.
Then shift out 2 bytes for X, but the data will only be 0x80 - as the 1 marches down the output bits, the Columns with Y = 0 will turn on briefly.
If it is too dim, then do the shift out in software with small delay per clock:

shiftout Y9-16 data
shiftout Y1-8 data

digitalWrite Shift_data = 1 // prep a 1 go out
digitalWrite RCK LOW  // prep the 2nd stage clock
digitalWrite SRCK LOW // prep the 1st stage clock
digitalWrite  SCLR LOW  // clear theregister
digitalWrite SCLR HIGH//

For X = 1 to 10{  // start a loop for 10 bits
digitalWrite SRCK HIGH  // clock bits into 1st stage
digitalWrite RCK HIGH  // clock bits into 2nd stage
digitalWrite SRCK LOW  // prep for next clock
digitalWrite RCK LOW // prep for next clock
Shift_data = 0  // prep for next bit
delay(display_time) // if needed
next x}

repeat for next & column
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up