brief introduction: I have not much of a develloper skill, I know how to read and interprete codes though. I started with the Arduino a few weeks ago and I am currently building my own aqua controller. Currentlich I have finished the dimming of 4 different HighPowerLED-stripes. I am using a RTC for that.
Btw, I am from Germany but did not find much information in the German part of this forum.
My next step is adding an LCD display to it. I have a 12864 / Controller ST7920.
I want to display only text / ASCII in four rows.
There should be a change like every minute in the display like:
1) Show percentige of the Dim-status of each LED stripe (row1= "Blue: Dimmed by 55%") etc
2) Show Time (RTC) in hh/mm/ss
3) Show water temperaturer (later, not built yet)
and then loop back to 1.
Here we go:
I do have problems with the setup of my display. I was able to connect everything as shown in this thread: http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/LCD12864
and installed the PONG game.
I could see the graphics but it was very dark.
I noticed I needed to setup a POTI but couldn't.
so my questions are now:
1) any good tutorial on the net where this is explained even for LCD beginners?
2) Do I need a POTI or is there any other way to get the screen lighter? I have a 4 WATT 4,7 kOHM Potz, can I use that and how do I connect it? (Do I connect it to the Arduino or to the display?)
3) Since I only would like to show ASCII / text, do I really need all these PINs connected?? I think it is quite a lot. (see below)
Hope that someone could help me
Wiring: (taken from the link I attached)
EN = Arduino Pin 18
RS = Arduino Pin 17
RW = Arduino Pin 16
D7 = Arduino Pin 7
D6 = Arduino Pin 6
D5 = Arduino Pin 5
D4 = Arduino Pin 4
D3 = Arduino Pin 11
D2 = Arduino Pin 10
D1 = Arduino Pin 9
D0 = Arduino Pin 8
CSEL1 = Arduino Pin 14
You also need to connect a POT with 5V on one side, ground on the other, and 5V (perhaps with 150 Ohm resistance) + LCD Pin 19 to the wiper (middle one usually). Otherwise you won't see much.