Go Down

Topic: LED Matrix troubleshooting (Read 936 times) previous topic - next topic

deadbird

Hi everyone.
I'm trying to get a LED matrix to work with:
- a MAX7219 IC
- an Arduino
- this lib: http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/MAX72XXHardware

The problem is that my LED matrix refuses to display anything but "all the leds on". I've triple-checked the wiring, tested everything, and in last resort I this my matrix could be a common cathode one...
Do you know how I can test wether it's a common anode or cathode?

MarkT

Do you know how I can test wether it's a common anode or cathode?

Tried looking at the datasheet?  We need to know the details such as part number and how you've wired it up to help further.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Cintax

The datasheet for teh MAX72xx indicates that it is for common cathode.

hexskrew

Well wait a minute here. Before we go looking at the wiring, for the fact that all the lights turn on (if you wired the lights backwards, they would not come on. Though I do not know if there is an adverse effect if you have only one or a few leds backwards), post your code so we can see if maybe there is a small logic issue somewhere.

If I were you though, as far as wiring, I would wire up only a couple of lights first to ensure you do have the leds wired correctly (I had one or two backwards in a 3x3 led array and man it caused a p.i.t.a. for me, but instead of ALL the lights coming on, multiple lights would come on when I was only addressing one led at a time)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy