Go Down

Topic: Nuvoton ISD1700 Chip (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic

anchan

I have been trying desperately to get talk to the Nuvoton ISD1700 Chip with an Arduino Pro 328 - 5V/16Mhz board.  I found this thread, but even on the new forum it is read-only http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,37348.0

First off, thank you the poster from that thread who wrote such wonderful code.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to get it to work.  All I can get from the Serial Monitor is "Not_RDY"

Everything compiled OK.  I have an identical ISD1700 hooked up in button mode, and works fine.  I swapped the chips, and its not the chip.

Has anyone worked on this recently?  Not sure where to start.
Thanks

eforman

maybe post a picture of your breadboard? 

anchan

Attached are a few photos of the breadboard.  I'm not sure exactly what you could really determine from the photos, but its all worth a shot.

I have the ISD1700 hooked up exactly as in example 2 (page 17) of the datasheet with a few exceptions:
http://www.nuvoton.com/hq/enu/ProductAndSales/ProductLines/ConsumerElectronicsIC/ISDVoiceIC/ISDChipCorder/Documents/ISD1700.pdf

The exception is that I am not using the Analn as shown there, but rather have a mic hooked up as in example 1 (page16) of the datasheet.
Also, I am supplying power to the chip from VCC and GND of the arduino, which is getting power from USB at the moment.
Also, I have a 100 ohm resistor in series with the speaker just to be safe, since I don't believe USB can drive an 8 ohm speaker.
If I put my ear right up against the speaker, I can hear a tiny bit of background noise, so I know it is on.  Plus the LED connected to Pin 2 of the chip is lit.

I will keep plugging away, but if anyone thinks of anything let me know.  Also, don't rule out the stupidest of suggestions.  I am a total newbie to the arduino, so I could have something really dumb going on.  I have other electronics experience, just not with the arduino.

Thanks in advance.

anchan

OK, I just realized a really stupid mistake.  I had pin 1 attached to ground not power!  Well, anyway, now when I type the letter R or P or whatever into serial monitor, I get "Status--->CMD_ERR PU RDY". 

On the arduino platform, I get the following errors:
Error inside Serial.serialEvent()
java.io.IOException: Bad file descriptor in nativeavailable
   at gnu.io.RXTXPort.nativeavailable(Native Method)
   at gnu.io.RXTXPort$SerialInputStream.available(RXTXPort.java:1532)
   at processing.app.Serial.serialEvent(Serial.java:215)
   at gnu.io.RXTXPort.sendEvent(RXTXPort.java:732)
   at gnu.io.RXTXPort.eventLoop(Native Method)
   at gnu.io.RXTXPort$MonitorThread.run(RXTXPort.java:1575)

anchan

And a bit more info:
Restarting my machine got rid of the java IO error messages.  But I still get "CMD_ERR PU RDY" whenever I enter a command.

I put a scope on Pin 13 of the arduino which according to the .h should be SCK.  I was assuming I would see some kind of clock output there, but instead its just at a solid +5.

Go Up