Go Down

Topic: Garbage Values on Serial Monitor (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

robogroup6

Hi,

Recently purchased an Arduino Fio, and was trying out the Serial.print function.

However when I upload the program all it gives me on the serial monitor are garbage values.  My code is as follows:

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop()
{
  Serial.println("Hello World");
  delay(100);
}

Any ideas?  I have made sure that I have selected the correct board and com port, and the serial monitor is set to 9600 baud.

Thanks!

H

DCContrarian

I'm pretty sure the serial signal is inverted and you have to use a MAX232 chip to connect to a PC.

PaulS

How ARE you getting the serial data from the FIO to the PC?

robogroup6

What do you mean inverted?

Sorry I forgot to mention I am using two Xbee shields to wirelessly simulate a serial connection.

Thanks!

robogroup6

I'm pretty sure the serial signal is inverted and you have to use a MAX232 chip to connect to a PC.

I am not quite sure I understand what you are saying... are you suggesting that the serial signal is inverted due to a hardware problem?  Or a software setup that I have overlooked?

Is a MAX 232 chip necessary since I am using a pair of XBee shields to wirelessly communicate with the PC through ZigBee?

H

CrossRoads

The IDE serial monitor or something else?
If something else, is it also set to 8-N-1?
8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

robogroup6

Finally figured it out.  I was using a baud rate of 9600 (in the program), when I changed it to a baud rate to 57600 it worked.

Since the example programs all use a baud rate of 9600, how do I know when to change it to what baud rate?

H

CrossRoads

Guess you need to look every time. Take nothing for granted.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up