Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Garbage Values on Serial Monitor  (Read 1512 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

Recently purchased an Arduino Fio, and was trying out the Serial.print function.

However when I upload the program all it gives me on the serial monitor are garbage values.  My code is as follows:

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop()
{
  Serial.println("Hello World");
  delay(100);
}

Any ideas?  I have made sure that I have selected the correct board and com port, and the serial monitor is set to 9600 baud.

Thanks!

H

View Profile

I'm pretty sure the serial signal is inverted and you have to use a MAX232 chip to connect to a PC.

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

How ARE you getting the serial data from the FIO to the PC?

View Profile

What do you mean inverted?

Sorry I forgot to mention I am using two Xbee shields to wirelessly simulate a serial connection.

Thanks!

View Profile

I'm pretty sure the serial signal is inverted and you have to use a MAX232 chip to connect to a PC.

I am not quite sure I understand what you are saying... are you suggesting that the serial signal is inverted due to a hardware problem?  Or a software setup that I have overlooked?

Is a MAX 232 chip necessary since I am using a pair of XBee shields to wirelessly communicate with the PC through ZigBee?

H

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

The IDE serial monitor or something else?
If something else, is it also set to 8-N-1?
8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

Finally figured it out.  I was using a baud rate of 9600 (in the program), when I changed it to a baud rate to 57600 it worked.

Since the example programs all use a baud rate of 9600, how do I know when to change it to what baud rate?

H

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Guess you need to look every time. Take nothing for granted.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: