Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: custom short USB cabling  (Read 624 times)
Austin, TX USA
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am working a number of projects that employ Arduino Nanos mounted deep inside enclosures.

I wish to expose the Nano's USB bus to the exterior of the enclosure via a standard USB-B (female) connector, just like the one that the Uno has.

The way I am currently doing this is physically cutting a standard USB "mini" cable and soldering the exposed wires to a USB-B connector mounted on a custom PCB.  So the intact end of the cable is plugged into the "mini" port on the Nano and the other end -- the one with the soldered connector -- is mounted in a hole in the exterior.

These cables take me a relatively long time to make and are not very pretty.  Does anyone know of a resource who would custom make these cables?  (And not for $50 apiece!  I'm hoping for more like $5-7.)

Many thanks,

Mikal Hart

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Something like this?

http://www.usbfirewire.com/uextendminib.html#namb

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

What about the cables used in normal PC's to get an USB from mothernboard to a frontpanel? There are plenty of old PC's on scrapheaps...

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Austin, TX USA
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

@CodingBadly: Yes, something similar to that, but preferably not $13 apiece.  (I'm having difficulty with a relatively simple cable that costs 30% of the costs of the electronics.)

@robtillaart: What I need is a cable that mates with the Nano on one end.  I thought about those motherboard-style cables, but they don't have the correct connector.  (I don't think it's easy to access the Nano's USB signal path without going through that connector...)

Thanks,

Mikal

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: