Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Show and Tell at a job interview  (Read 1427 times)
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

So, I am in the market for a new job.  Today I did something I haven't really done before, I brought my Arduino and a couple of shields I've made with me to the interview.  It was great when I was asked, "what do you like to do for fun?"  I pulled them out, and explained about Arduino. 

The shields aren't terribly complex.  One is a RTC clock while the other is a LED matrix (8x6) I made just because I had a bunch of blue LEDs sitting around. 

Even better, I was interviewing for a component company.  The hiring manager noticed their parts on my board.  That hadn't even occurred to me.  I've been using a reel of their components for my personal projects for a very long time.

Moral of the story, show and tell always goes over well.  Now, we will see if the technique worked.  smiley-wink

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.c

Tacoma, WA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

That's awesome. smiley They definitely won't forget you. smiley Good luck.

Brian from Tacoma, WA
Arduino evangelist - since Dec, 2010.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

It was a successful technique.  smiley-wink

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.c

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

It was a successful technique.  smiley-wink

Yea, probably better then bringing in your personal gun collection as a show and tell.  smiley-grin

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

"This is my rife, this is my gun.  This is for fighting, this is for fun...."

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Give me a break, I was in the Air Force, guns were all we had.

On the other hand we USAF enlisted were known to be a little smarter then the other services, we sent the officers out to fly and fight, while we stayed back at the bases.  smiley-grin

Rural Arizona
Edison Member
Incorrigible tinkerer
View Profile

Yea, probably better then bringing in your personal gun collection as a show and tell.  smiley-grin
Depends on where you're interviewing.  smiley-twist

Living where I do, I can think of a few places where it might help (keeping in mind that my "collection" consists of a single venerable revolver, so I can wear the whole thing on my belt without looking too out-of-place  smiley-cool).  I can even think of one where I know it would have helped: the client was a major gun fan.  And I actually wound up going to work armed for a while after drug smugglers took strong issue with his refusal of their offer of money for safe passage through his property.

California
That's me, the boy with the broken halo.
View Profile

Give me a break, I was in the Chair Force, guns were all we had.

On the other hand we USAF enlisted were known to be a little smarter then the other services, we sent the officers out to fly and fight, while we stayed back at the bases.  smiley-grin

Fixed that for you... 4 years as a Navy cryptologist and 3 spec ops smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: