Go Down

Topic: Soldering (Read 3712 times) previous topic - next topic

thegeekway

Brass sponge here too, got 6 new ones spare :D (just in case)

TchnclFl

Now I feel bad about using my wet sponge :(.

Ah well, my iron's a RadioShack POS anyways, so who cares?

Osgeld

Jun 13, 2010, 08:20 am Last Edit: Jun 13, 2010, 08:23 am by Osgeld Reason: 1
my radio shack pos is bout to be 22 years old, and is still being sold in malls everywhere

if you take care of your tools, even cheap ones last a long time
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

k2pek2

i wish when I was starting out someone had told me about sponges, and tip care. It sucks when you're learning on your own and your tip gets eaten away and you're wondering what the heck is happening. i finally learned about a wet sponge to clean the tip and that saved some life, but from what i'm reading i should switch to a brass/copper scrubbie sponge. i'm headed out to the store soon to go get one soon...

mowcius

Well the brass sponge is all well and good but you really want to make sure you tin your iron tip or buy some tinning compound to make it last.

Mowcius

kg4wsv

I find a wet sponge does best with a well-cared for tip, and save the brass scrubber for particularly dirty tips.

-j

Grumpy_Mike

The problem with a brass sponge is that it scratches the surface of the iron. Many quality soldering tips are iron coated and a brass sponge will take off this coating and accelerate corrosion.

mowcius

The problem with a brass sponge is that it scratches the surface of the iron. Many quality soldering tips are iron coated and a brass sponge will take off this coating and accelerate corrosion.

A mine of information as usual.
Well my iron is only some cheap rubbish and I need a new one anyway.
What would you recommend then?
Just a quick rub on a damp sponge?

Mowcius

Grumpy_Mike

Just a quick rub on a damp sponge?

Always does it for me.   ::)

jackrae

Mowcius
I have always found Antex irons of very good quality with a good range of tips - all available from maplin.

The one I use for electronic work is rated at 15watt and does everything I need.  If you go for one, also buy the  spring style stand c/w sponge.

Maplin also sells a rather expensive temperature controlled iron/soldering station for a penny short of £70 which gets good reviews.  Haven't yet drummed up the courage to buy one

jack

frostin

What's the best conclusion?

AdeV

I've probably mentioned it elsewhere, but I recently had to replace my Antex iron (it got stood on, poor thing). Got a cheap temp-controlled unit from Farnell (stock code: 1737234)

Less than £30 for the soldering station, a reel of solder & a brass cleaner? Can't go wrong IMHO. So far, it's been working a treat.

mowcius

Jun 14, 2010, 08:44 pm Last Edit: Jun 14, 2010, 08:44 pm by mowcius Reason: 1
What's the best conclusion?

Quick rub on a damp sponge.
Tin end after use.
Don't use the damp sponge to cool down your iron after use.
Have fun!

Mowcius

frostin

Well I changed my mind... Damp sponge and retin... See how far my tips last ;). I ended having 3 different sizes for my station. The radio shack station is worth it I generally have my temp around 400 to 500f ( I don't like celcius) :p

Go Up