Go Down

Topic: load cell and op amp (Read 5736 times) previous topic - next topic

cerver

i have been trying for a few days and searching this forum but i cannot seam to solve what should be a simple setup

i have 2 half bridge  loads cells (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10245)

and this op amp (http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM741.pdf)

i am trying to get this to register in arduino. from what i know so far is that since the load cell is a half bridge i can use two  to make a full Wheatstone bridge. but i either got the wrong amp, i read a lot of talk about using an ina125p, is that better?

here is a diagram, can someone help me fill it in.

rocketgeek

You're going to need a couple of more op-amps to do this right, since you need an instrumentation amplifier circuit to do this right -- it's a basic op-amp application circuit and you need three op amps to build it. Also be aware that the output is proportional to the excitation voltage as well as the load -- that's why the sensitivity and so on are defined in terms of mV/V -- the V term is the excitation voltage. The output is 1 mV/V full scale. So use a precision reference if you want good results.

Wire the + of one sensor to the - of the other and vice versa. If you do + to + and - to -, you will get no output -- the resistance of both bridges will shift together and there will be no difference signal to measure. This anti-parallel arrangement also has the nice effect of doubling the output to 2 mV/V. If your excitation voltage is 5V and you'd like to map the output onto 0-5V (i.e. an Arduino ADC pin), you will need to set the instrumentation amp up with a gain of 500.

The INA125 that you've seen mentioned elsewhere combines the instrumentation amplifier and the excitation source into one convenient package. It only requires a single external gain resistor and a bit of power supply filtering to use.

MarkT

The 741 op amp is hopelessly out of date - it used to be the state of the art 40 years ago and requires supply voltages in excess of +/-5V, ie it  doesn't work at all from a single 5V supply rail.

For high accuracy requirements an 'instrumentation amplifier' is needed which is usually a clever circuit using 3 op-amps.  The INA125 is all of this on a single device - you just add a gain-setting resistor (which should be a high-precision type).  The datasheet shows how to use it for a bridge circuit.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

cerver

ok i use the INA125 sounds good. next question. is there a way to use the 3 wire load cell by itself with out the need for a second reference one. if so how do i hook up the 3 wires, there seam to be no diagram of a 3 wire config.

swetrack

If this load cell is half a wheatstone  you could just add two R with same value as each one in the bridge to create compensation for temp errors and proper signal level for your INA. Put all R as near each other as possible(with bridge). Remember, wire lengths are crucial so use sense wires when feeding bridge. I would also recommend a calibration with a known weight when everything is put together, including your cables. Try to make at least a three point calibration for linearity check.
(When building by yourself i prefer this method before shunt calibration.)

thank you

KFing

I am experiencing similar issues.  I have a load cell (0-1000lbs) that I am trying to attach to the ArduinoUno.  I know I need to use some sort of OpAmp for amplification but I am not sure if I am wiring it correctly.  I have attempted to wire it with several different amps.  What is recommended for this set-up?  I have wired it several ways and get values to output using the serial port but the value never changes when pressure is applied to the sensor. 

srj0408

I am also having the similar issues with respect to using INA125 Amplifier for voltage amplification in load sensor. Kindly have a look at this question.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=233195.msg1679676#msg1679676

Can some one please help me out, what wrong am i doing?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy