Go Down

Topic: Position sensing detectors (Read 910 times) previous topic - next topic

Gizmo

Hey guys,

I'm trying to interface with a few Position sensing detectors (PSD) from Thorlabs:

http://www.thorlabs.com/NewGroupPage9.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=4400&pn=PDP90A

sensors are Vcc +-5V +-5%  9x9mm
Output is 3 DC signals per unit at about 12 bits precision with max output of +-4V.
Max output power is based on laser power so it is variable.

Obviously, we are talking about lab quality equipement so precision is outmost priority.
I was planning on averaging measurement every few cycles to reduce noise and maybe even input on multiple pins.

Output is simply showing data on a 4x20 LCD screen

-----
First, you have to understand that this stuff is new to me. I probably spent 100 hours on that since the last 2 weeks. I'm a mech eng so I'm sort of venturing to the dark side here...
Anyway... I was trying to few an alternative to thousand $$ cards when I found out about the arduino. It kind of seemed to good to be true at first.
Then I realized that the ATMega 8 bit is only using a 10bit A/D wich lets face it looks like a dealbreaker. I found out that it is possible to bolt an outside 12+bit A/D.
After, I found out about the Leaflabs Maple with its 32bit (no need) ARM processors and 12bit A/D. I then realized that this bitch is running 3.3V

Questions:

1. Noise level: Usually, is it beter have sensor running at high or low voltage (3.3 or 5V)?
2. Noise level: 12 vs 72MHz MPU , is it going to matter?
3. I/O: Lets say my max output voltage is about 4V, should I use that as my reference voltage for more precision?
4. Any Sheild with a 12+ A/D
5. On a general basis, is it better to supply voltage to sensors from the board or outside powersupply?
6. In my case, ATMega (arduino) or ARM (Maple)?
7. Any tip on a general, professional looking electric connector to join the LCD and Arduino? (Hirose?)

Thanks a lot!

Gizmo

Forgot question #8...

8. Lets say my sensor output was to go above 5V (or 3.3 for the Maple), would that fry the pin/controller or is there some kind of over voltage protection?
9. Is there some kind of easy over voltage circuitery available?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy