Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Coil Winder  (Read 2328 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi

I am a complete novice but would like to learn more about the Uno

The project in mind is to upgrade my coil winder with the Arduino

So the problem is... when the coil makes one turn the stepper must advance the carriage the thickness of the wire. I haven't seen any topic so far that addresses this issue. If anyone knows of one?

So the stepper is just the average 200 steps per turn, the lead screw is 10 threads per inch

Some examples:

For number 30 wire the stepper needs to make 25 steps

For number 24 wire the stepper needs to make 50 steps

For number 18 wire the stepper needs to make 100 steps

This is for the nice even size wire. For the other gauges It would need to step and half step at least.

I am using the Step Genie now...

So I can put a code wheel on the coil rotor of 10 to 40 pulses easy enough but then how do I do the math
function so that it is adjustable? for all gauges? I am not to worried about precision... even a pot input for the "adjustment" setting would be acceptable.

Ideas of where to start are welcome

Ron

London, England
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Easiest way, conversion wise. Convert wire thickness to mm. Feed this into program (or use an onboard lookup table).
Work out the steps/mm travel of your setup. (try 0.0127mm/step or 78.75 steps/mm).
multiply distance needed in mm by step-s/mm, round up and use the stepper function to drive your stepper.

As for coding, best bet is just to play with it. The arduino is wonderful to learn quickly with just a bit of practice. All the rest is `quite easy

Norway
Does it work?
View Profile

Hi there. Nice construction and presentation.

My first thoughts:

Mount a magnet on the moving winding motor. Use a magn.sesor mounted on the fixed part of system and measure when 1 turn is done. Then advance the moving threader the thickness of the wire.

Perhaps two end-switches could be mounted at each end of the coil to detect when to turn the direction of the threader? or just make it programmable by input length of coil from keyboard?

Number of turns could be counted by program (input from magnetic sensor) or by keyboard input .

A mechanical transmission of winding motor to the threader? Which You adjust an offset (thickness of wire)?

Its perhaps a question of how how much mechanical  and electronic(programming personal interests?

Good luck further with Your project.

Hi

I am a complete novice but would like to learn more about the Uno

The project in mind is to upgrade my coil winder with the Arduino

So the problem is... when the coil makes one turn the stepper must advance the carriage the thickness of the wire. I haven't seen any topic so far that addresses this issue. If anyone knows of one?

So the stepper is just the average 200 steps per turn, the lead screw is 10 threads per inch

Some examples:

For number 30 wire the stepper needs to make 25 steps

For number 24 wire the stepper needs to make 50 steps

For number 18 wire the stepper needs to make 100 steps

This is for the nice even size wire. For the other gauges It would need to step and half step at least.

I am using the Step Genie now...

So I can put a code wheel on the coil rotor of 10 to 40 pulses easy enough but then how do I do the math
function so that it is adjustable? for all gauges? I am not to worried about precision... even a pot input for the "adjustment" setting would be acceptable.

Ideas of where to start are welcome

Ron

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 06:19:25 am by janeik » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: