Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: DIY inkjet PCB's????  (Read 4437 times)
South Africa
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am very interested in this. I have been wondering about building a plotter that can plot directly onto copper clad board using etch resistant ink. I don't have the time to test this idea out, anyone else wanna try smiley-wink

South African Arduino User Group

http://arduino.za.net

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Well no.

Back in the 80's I had a plotter that I used to do my PCB 2X artwork on using drafting film and Indian ink. It was a nightmare with pens clogging or drying part way through a run. If you use etch resist ink that will be thicker still and more prone to clog, life is just too short.

KC4MM
View Profile

I agree. I've made my own PWBs in the early days (many years ago). At one point in my career I even set up a commercial PWB fab at the company I worked for. But these days you can go online and easily find a house that will deliver professional quality PWBs in small quantities at amazingly inexpensive prices.

For example I'm just finishing a project I designed under contract that contains an ATMega328, LCD display, matrix keypad, RS485 driver, power supply,  and a small handfull of other parts all on a PWB about 3"x3.5". I ordered 5 prototype 2 layer boards from PCBFabExpress. They arrived in a week, and were professional quality including solder mask both sides and silkscreen on one side. At less than $20/ea including shipping it just isn't worth it to roll your own IMHO - unless of course you are just doing it for the fun of it.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 06:39:21 am by RoyK » Logged

Arduino paper
View Profile

Roy - I did the inkjet butchering because its was as you say a good "Did it yourself" exercise...

The other reason, being completely green in the field of PCB design, I figured I'm going to make a few mistakes. The cost here in Australia along with turn-around time and a hereditary impatience means I thought it was a good idea to proto-type myself, then get a fab-house to make a "known good" board for me..

Maybe I am just full of self-doubt about excessive screwups in laying out the tracks etc etc, but thought the cost of getting it setup to 'prototype' myself versus getting lots of 'dud' boards made sense ??

Checkout my projects development blog @ SLiDA

God Member
Arduino rocks!
View Profile

I have been wondering about building a plotter that can plot directly onto copper clad board using etch resistant ink.

My experience with etch resistant inks is that there's no such think as etch resistant ink.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

hum, just discovered this... it looks great... now I might reconsider that the photo engraving is the best solution....

My experience with etch resistant inks is that there's no such think as etch resistant ink.
visibly you have to "melt" theses ink to get them etch resistant... but if you're really right then photoengraving would still be the best method...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 12:35:23 am by elwing » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Just saw that same site and came to the thread to post it. smiley-grin Looks promising. But of course you have to use one of the specific inkjets their system is designed around.

Where's the Kaboom?
View Profile

I finally got to trying out my JetStar inkjet film this week, and was more than satisfied with the results:

I drew up the plans in ExpressBCB before realising that it has somewhat limited print options - i.e. you can't get to the printer properties dialog... but discovered this is easily circumvented by printing to the MS XPS device, and then printing the resultant file from IE - comes out at exact scale without any messing around.

Chosing "Inkjet transparency" paper and High quality photo printing on my Epson R300, the black was not as black as I'd hoped - still a bit translucent when holding it up to the light, but I did a test exposure from 1 to 10 minutes and experienced no bleed-through exposure what so ever. Everything from 2 mins on developed fine.

For the actual boards, I gave them 2min 30 sec, and the only issue I had through to the etched boards were where the photoresist coating was actually damaged in a small area of the larger one.

These are the first boards I've produced in probably 25+ years - it gave me a real nostalgia trip back to my teenage years! If only it were so easy to produce the artwork in those days!

Arduino rocks
View Profile

inkjetprinting gives interesting opportunities for making pcbs - I will show you an example...

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Here a first test of a pcb, using inkjet technique:

1. direct printing of etch resistant ink
2. etching
3. Printing an additional layer as a solder mask including the legend

Note: I know that it is not perfect at all; it was my very first try. But I am sure I can get it quite perfect within a short time.
Looks much better in the real world - picture was made with low-quality scanner causing lots of artefacts...

The ruler on the top shows milimeters

« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 01:22:21 pm by ingoschuldes » Logged

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

Dude; you forgot your vias layer!

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

He did say it was a test; I think it looks pretty impressive for a "test"...!

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Buffalo, NY
"The reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once"-Albert Einstein
View Profile

I recently picked up a HP P1102W from staples on sale for $99, monochrome with WiFi built in I'm real satisfied. All I can say is that HP toner works a lot better compared to whatever my college uses in their lasers, that stuff was a pain to use.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Here is a image showing the direct printed traces...

« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 05:54:46 am by ingoschuldes » Logged

Not USA
Arduino
View Profile

I've never done any PCB work, all stripboard, but I would like to. Just to make it clear to me, when you say direct printing, are you saying you are printing directly onto the copper board? How does that run through a printer? Or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick, and it's printing onto a transparency that you iron onto the copper?

3D Artist,Modeler, Texturer, Animator, Electronics and Robotics, Programming C, VB, Website Design, Flash animator

Too many hobbies?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Jump to: