Go Down

Topic: capsense without foil but with a few meters of copper wire? (Read 50 times) previous topic - next topic

spock

hi,

http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/CapacitiveSensor

does this capsense method also work without a foil area? but only with a long copper wire (2mm diameter or so)?

for i project i would need to sense touch (or better very close proximity) with 6 meters of such wire.

a few weeks ago i did some experiments and it kind of worked.

today i tried to make it more reliable but i didn't get it to work at all anymore. maybe some grounding issue or something but i wasn't able to figure it out.

do you have any tips how to make this work? is this even feasible? would it be better to use insulated or non-insulated wire (so far i tried it with an insulated one)?

in the above link they talk about an antenna. is my wire such an antenna?

i would be happy about any responses. :)

jremington

is my wire such an antenna?
Yes, a pretty good one. It will pick up interference from radio and TV stations, light fixtures, house wiring, motors, moving automobiles, etc.

spock

ok, so this won't work? :) or are there any tricks to stop the inferferences somewhat?

would it be possible to split it up into 1 meter segments and use shielded cables to connect the segments to the arduino?

jremington

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy