Go Down

Topic: analogread is this right (Read 775 times) previous topic - next topic

I was quickly testing circ 0-9 in the little book(photo resistor example), but it didnt work, after much buggering arround I worked out that the analogread just returns jibberish even if there is nothing attached to the pins.

it returns random numbers between 250 to 400 roughly

for(Ctr=0;Ctr!=13;Ctr++)
{
lightLevel=analogRead(Ctr);
Serial.println(lightLevel);
delay(500);
}

I accept that maybe my little photsensor is buggered, is it normal for the analogread to return nonsense if nothing is plugged in. I would have expected it to be zero.

AWOL

Jun 27, 2011, 03:49 pm Last Edit: Jun 27, 2011, 03:51 pm by AWOL Reason: 1
Yes, that's completely normal.
Google "floating pin" or "floating input"

I was quickly testing circ 0-9 in the little book(photo resistor example)

I have no idea what you're asking here.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Now that i know what to look for, i managed to research the floating data, thank you.

as for what was i talking about,
http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Expermentation-Kit-How-to-get-Started-wi/step11/Light-Photo-Resistors-CIRC09/

simple sensor circut. I have the booklet, i thought it came with all arduinos :).

AWOL

The one or two Instructables for the Arduino I have read have been truly awful - they really need to get hold of some moderators at that site.
Be careful!
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

I worked it out, what a noob i am, i had it in digital ports, not analog.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy