Go Down

Topic: Elastomeric connector question (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I have a 128x64 graphic LCD from sparkfun. I soldered a male pin-header connector to so I could use it for multiple projects via breadboard. It's more than a year old now, and recently one vertical line of pixels stopped working. I noticed that if I applied a little pressure on the frame of the LCD it worked fine. So I took the frame off and attempted to re-seat the elastomeric connector (mistake). Now I get random pixels all over the place. My question, is there some sort of adheasive used on the connector? I ask this because when I lifted the screen off of the connectors it seemed to be lightly glued to the PCB and the glass. Have I made a big mistake trying to re-seat the connector? Should I scrap the display and just buy another one?

Thanks for any advice,

I am guessing that the glue is on the side of the rubber, not between the rubber and the liquid crystal glass panel. I can't imagine there exists a glue that will selectively pass electricity. I bet if you push the rubber along its long direction by just a bit, you may be able to fix it.
Serial LCD keypad panel,phi_prompt user interface library,SDI-12 USB Adapter

There is not normally any 'glue' as such (well not on the ones I have taken apart). Due to the pressure applied, the rubber sticks to the two surfaces slightly.

On a graphic LCD, I'd say it might be tricky to get it to line up correctly again/get enough pressure on it.
The best thing you can do is keep trying - you're not going to lose anything trying.

I'll keep messing with it. However, the more I take the frame off on on, the weaker the metal frame tabs become. Probably why there's not enough pressure to make a good connection now. Anyway, I've sent a 160x128 GLCD (sparkfun) to "mem" so he can port it to the GLCDv3 library. I think I'll wait and see how that's going and just buy another 160x128. They're really nice looking, large displays.

Thanks for the replies,

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131