Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Options for permanent soldered boards without etching?  (Read 935 times)
Lincoln, NE
Having lots of fun with Arduino. Thanks everyone!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Etching my own custom board and drilling all the holes seems daunting, so I'm considering this:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/BusBoard-Prototype-Systems/BR1/?qs=dhMlBWDyGwd3hHrWdzxHJA%3d%3d

Could anyone point me to other (better/cheaper) protoboards? I'm in USA.  Thanks in advance!

Lancashire, UK
Edison Member
View Profile

Plain old stripboard (sometimes called Veroboard) is probably the cheapest option.  Widely available and cheap.

Buy yourself a track cutter while you're at it (also cheap, usually consisting of a small drill bit in a plastic handle)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 11:57:51 am by pluggy » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

How big of a board do you need?
I use velleman ecs1/2 for many projects, is a good size. 80mm x 100mm.
Velleman makes larger sizes also.  ECS1-H is 100mm x 160mm.
Both are "island of holes", one pad per hole.
I like velleman as the holes are very uniformly spaced - cheaper boards like Datek I have to be lower quality in that regard.

There are other options too, like boards with 2 & 3 pins connected together. Could be handy for solder adjacent parts together.
I usually have several chips that I am wirewrapping together and prefer the individual holes so I am not limited on placement.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Lincoln, NE
Having lots of fun with Arduino. Thanks everyone!
View Profile

Thanks for all the quick pointers.  Although searching for veroboard at digikey and mouser did not return meaningful results, I've ordered these:  http://futurlec.com/ProtoBoards.shtml

Quite inexpensive and available in many sizes and variations.

For future hunters, I've seen these boards called: protoboard, veroboard, euroboard, stripboard, busboard.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I use simple proto boards and use 30 gauge wire-wrap wire for all the interconnections, except I cut to length and solder the wire. That wire lays nice and flat and doesn't steal too much vertical space. I do use large gauge wire for the main ground and power runs.

Lefty

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

The futurelec experimenters board looks great, lots of sizes to choose from. I'll have to order a couple & try them out next project.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

stripboard (sometimes called Veroboard) is probably the cheapest option.  Widely available and cheap.
Strangely, this isn't true in the United States.  Pad-per-hold is popular, and there are the proto-board-like PCBs that are sorta nice (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102846 ), but cheap stripboard never seems to have caught on.  Of course there are a bunch of mail-order dealers that fill the void...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: