Go Down

Topic: Has anyone added I2C to the Standard Firmata sketch (UNO) (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

jmullan88

I have been using Andrew Craigie's FirmataVB library with good results.  However, I need I2C added.

I have also seen I2CFirmata sketch, and tried to merge it into the standard Firmata sketch.  But I am pretty new at this, and C# is not my stength.

I need Firmata or similar generic protocol with I2C abilities.

Has anyone managed to marry up any of this stuff?

jmullan88

Well, it must be a tough deal.  I know it's been a bumpy road for me.  And nobody has chimed in.

I am finding that I will have to re-write some of the Firmata sketch, (well, the I2C_Firmata parts that I merged into Standard Firmata) because it is not "complete".  It only handles transmitting one register byte.  The EEPROM I am using uses two (10 significant bits).  I am sure there may be other devices that require more register bits.

I have made the intializing routine that grabs the digital statuses to ALWAYS return a value, because the PC program isn't ready for the first transmission by the time the Uno gets through, and if I exit my program and re-enter, the program needs to know but won't get accurate info.

Given the challenges I am facing, I will probably come up with some additional Firmata commands to handle different scenarios. Like a I2C_Read_Extended and I2C_Write_Extended.  But when newer versions of Firmata are released, I would have to rewrite all over again.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy