Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: trying to figure out a Jellyfish-like mechanic for an art project  (Read 679 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm currently using two UNO for my project and I'm just completely stuck with how to make a similar mechanical movement like in this link, http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/28/festo-airjelly-flies-through-the-air-with-the-greatest-of-ease/. I can make do with a much simpler articulation as long as it's recognizably a jellyfish. My project is to make a jellyfish-like machine mounted on top of a standing lamp so as a viewer walks nearby, light's pulses and the billowing motion would moves a little faster.

I have the idea of using counterweight down the shaft so I can use a servo without any need for any stronger motor. there would be string from along the 6 or 8 'wings' looped around a wheel on top of the lamp and leading down to the counterweight. I am just stuck trying to figure this out.

I know that my question may not exactly be clear and I'm not too sure how to explains it better so please ask me anything for clarification if you want to. I am meeting my project partner soon to discuss this so I'll post up on any progress I may make.

Thanks

Arduino rocks
View Profile

hmm i'm not really sure if i get what you're trying to do. but in case i guessed it right, how bout you google for muscle wire?

View Profile

As amanmazleifg said muscle wire (Nitinol) seems suitable, though festo does not use it. I looked at that jellyfish and other stuff that festo made in the past, they are amazing.
Ummm, maybe you can use some kind of elastic film shaped like a jellyfish and change its shape with a fan blowing/not blowing or adapting the speed. That can create a smooth jellyfish movement.
There is a little introductory text I had written about Nitinol, maybe it can help http://www.ndsgn.com/ShapeMemoryAlloyTips.pdf

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: