Go Down

Topic: Energy Cell - Board, OLED screen and LED Strips (Read 234 times) previous topic - next topic

tafn

Hello all. I'm currently in need of assistance with a project. I must state, I have little to no knowledge when it comes to programing and setting up these Arduino boards. I've soldered LED's, resistors, wires, and controllers but never had the chance to work with an Arduino. Until now that is!

The project is for my thesis and the goal is to power an OLED display and a couple LED strips which pulsate/breathe slowly. I've researched a few boards, but it became quite daunting and confusing when other brands came into the equation and further confused things. I'm afraid certain things won't be compatible and so on. If anyone has some spare time and could share their wisdom, I would greatly appreciate it.

One of my thesis components is this energy cell I'm creating. I've made small models and I'm currently working on a larger model. This model consists of 4 pieces: top/lid, sleeve, bottom, and core. The OLED screen is to be placed on the lid (top left corner). The Arduino will be mounted under the lid or, if fitment is an issue, inside the core/sleeve. The LED strips are to be installed in the core. The model itself can be modified to better fit components. To date, only the outer sleeve has been made.

So the goal would be:

-Arduino- preferably wired and battery powered. Size restriction if placed under the lid (4" long).  Size restriction if placed inside the core - 5.5" long.

-OLED screen, size .96". I would like numbers to be displayed and perhaps a chart/graph. Data on screen to fluctuate with the breathing LED strips.  

-LED strips, 2-3 strips. Pulsate/breathe function.

-On/off switch if possible

The concept is that this energy cell is storing energy within it. The OLED at the top reads (false made up information) in the form of complicated numbers or something of the sort. Perhaps even a graph. The LED strips will be diffused and pulsate as if the energy inside is active and fluctuating. Would be cool if the OLED information were synced with the strips but isn't a must.

More information can be provided if needed of course. Thank you for reading this far and thank you for your time. I really appreciate any and all help.

Images found here:

-T

Grumpy_Mike

-Arduino- preferably wired and battery powered. Size restriction if placed under the lid (4" long).  Size restriction if placed inside the core - 5.5" long.
I would use an Arduino Micro or Nano board as they are a lot smaller.

OLED screen, size .96". I would like numbers to be displayed and perhaps a chart/graph. Data on screen to fluctuate with the breathing LED strips.
Yes their are lots of these about, this one https://www.adafruit.com/product/326 or you can get full colour ones like this one

-LED strips, 2-3 strips. Pulsate/breathe function.
The Neopixel strip is AdaFruit's way of describing the WS2812b addressable LED. Their web site has plenty of tutorials about how to use them.

To find out how to use this site correctly please read this:-
How to use this forum

And here for finding out how to post photographs because we don't like going off site for pictures.
image guide

tafn

I would use an Arduino Micro or Nano board as they are a lot smaller.
Yes their are lots of these about, this one https://www.adafruit.com/product/326 or you can get full colour ones like this one
The Neopixel strip is AdaFruit's way of describing the WS2812b addressable LED. Their web site has plenty of tutorials about how to use them.

To find out how to use this site correctly please read this:-
How to use this forum

And here for finding out how to post photographs because we don't like going off site for pictures.
image guide
Grumpy_Mike, Thank you very much for this! I will definitely make these changes now. I apologize for messing up on the post. I'll keep this in mind for future reference!

Also, Thank you for the suggested boards and OLED! I'll be checking the micro and nano's dimensions and see where I could mount them best.

I am aware that what I am asking is quite a lot. I do appreciate and respect other people's time. I'm more than willing to compensate anyone.

This model is one of many different components I'll be using for my thesis. Simply put, I'm making a board game on relativity and energy. This model is a "promotional" larger table piece, designed after the smaller pieces you'd collect in the game. Normally I would take the time to carefully research and figure everything out through tuts or videos. However, with a 2 month window, I'm afraid of messing something up and have it completely fail. (example: Read that in some instances you cannot have a battery plugged in while the Audrino is also connected to the pc).

Anyhow, I hope I'm posting this in the right place, and I hope what I'm asking is allowed as well. Feel free to PM me for more details or if you're interested in helping me out with this task, for a price too. I'm also more than happy to include your contact info when I display my work at the show for referrals. Thanks again to anyone and everyone, it is greatly appreciated!

tafn

An update: I ended up picking up the Uno. After some reading and comparing (plus it fits!) I decided maybe this board was best. Also, thanks to Grumpy_Mike I also picked up the 0.96" 128x64 OLED graphic display from Adafruit. I should have both units by Monday. Custom board mount to come and placement for the screen to follow as well.

Go Up