Go Down

Topic: Talking telemetry system for model aircrafts (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Wiff

Hello everyone, this is my very first post.
My name is Wolfgang. I am a model aircraft pilot and I am a newbie in the Arduino universe. I bought my first Arduino Uno a few days ago after discussing with a local user group at the Lift Conference in Geneva (http://liftconference.com/lift11)
I have a technical background, I programmed Z80 / 68000/ 8086 microprocessor sytems (long time ago) during university and wrote C code for CNC machines in my first jobs - so it was not hard for me to get the first Ardunio demos up and running.

My plan is to port my "Bitching Betty Plus" system (http://goldeneye.ethz.ch/elektronik/flight_data/ - sorry it is in German) from Windows to the  Arduino platform (BTW: "Bitching Betty" is the nickname of the voice warning system of the F16 Fighting Falcon Jet)

I implemented that idea using these components:

• Unilog Data Logger - to collect the date from the aircraft

• F2M03GXA-S01 Class 1 Bluetooth Module from Free2Move to transmit the data to the ground

• A Laptop running a Python script using a text to speech software module

• A BT headset to transmit the voice output from the Laptop to me

I have several questions for the Arduino gurus:
First question: The Datalogger is running at a Baudrate of 115200 Bit/sec (8Bit/no parity/no flow control) . The protocol is very simple: you ask for the current dataset - you will get a 24 Bit answer. Usually you ask for a dataset every 0.5 or 1 second, but you can not change the 115kBit/s transfer rate .
What is the recommended method to handle this communication speed?
Hardware UART ? New Software Serial ?

Second question:
What is the recommended method to connect the 3.3V Bluetooth Module to the 5V Arduiono Uno ?

Third question:
What is the recommended method for voice output ?
Sparkfun's VoiceBox, MP3 Player with prerecorded voice ?

Many thanks for you help in advance!!!

best regards,
Wolfgang

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy