Go Down

Topic: Problems with the com port on the Mac OS (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

ogogon

Good day, dear colleagues!

I use the Arduino software v.0022 on the operating system MacOS 10.6.6. Arduino - Duemilanove. Atmel - 328.

I want to use the system com-port in their Arduino-program to control it.
In the "Serial-Monitor " I apply the text strings and the program handles them.

If I use a terminal program to the MacOS then the Arduino does not accept characters from me.

sh-3.2# cu -s 9600 -l /dev/cu.usbserial-A7004FEn
Connected.
~[MacBook-A-V].
Disconnected.
sh-3.2#

In the brief moment of connection light the LED "L", but the TX and PX LEDs do not light up.

What's the problem?
How can I do to any terminal, not just the Arduino program to work with com port?

M. Schmitt

I recall cu only as one really kludgy last-resort tool from the old-school UNIX world. With minicom (installed via Homebrew http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/ ), serial communication works flawlessly.

ogogon

I recall cu only as one really kludgy last-resort tool from the old-school UNIX world. With minicom (installed via Homebrew http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/ ), serial communication works flawlessly.

Thank you very much!
It's very strange, but after installing minicom for MacOS everything worked without problems.
I use a program cu on different platforms with 80-ies, and it has never failed me.
Once again, thank you!

Ogogon.

gillham

You can also use 'screen' which is builtin on Mac OSX:
$ screen /dev/cu.usbserial-A7004FEn 9600

You can also add the Python Serial package (pyserial) and then use miniterm.py
$ sudo easy_install -U pyserial
$ miniterm.py /dev/cu.usbserial-A7004FEn 9600

Screen is easy and convenient as it is builtin.  If you're not familiar with it, hit 'ctrl-a ?' while running for some options.  You can use 'ctrl-a k' to "kill" the window.

ogogon

However, a strange thing!

I have not found in a minicom for MacOS (minicom version 2.2 (compiled Mar 16 2007)) as a set character that ends the string.
I want to '\n', as he puts '\r'.
This can somehow set this up?

By the way, is for MacOS terminal emulator runs as usual, not a console application? (I found iTerm, but he does not want to work with com port, only the network)

Ogogon.

M. Schmitt

Feb 21, 2011, 08:07 am Last Edit: Feb 21, 2011, 08:09 am by M. Schmitt Reason: 1

I have not found in a minicom for MacOS (minicom version 2.2 (compiled Mar 16 2007)) as a set character that ends the string.
I want to '\n', as he puts '\r'.
This can somehow set this up?

Menu -> cOnfigure -> Screen & Keyboard -> Add Linefeed

The default seems to be "no" (which has always worked for me). Does this do what you expect?

Edit to add: minicom version 2.4 (compiled Dec 11 2010)

By the way, is for MacOS terminal emulator runs as usual, not a console application? (I found iTerm, but he does not want to work with com port, only the network)

There used to be ZTerm, but I think its development is stalled. ZOC still seems to be available, too, but it has always been way overpriced.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy