Go Down

Topic: PCB issues (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

omar4578

Feb 21, 2011, 06:06 am Last Edit: Feb 21, 2011, 06:10 am by omar4578 Reason: 1
ok so basically i want to make my own shield! :) not for mass production or anything, just for fun and the concept that (i can get it done)! lol

i have followed this tutorial and it was extremely useful!
http://aaroneiche.com/2010/06/24/a-beginners-guide-to-making-an-arduino-shield-pcb/

i learned some of the usage of the tools and parts list...

i also downloaded the sparkfun.lbr to have a parts list so i think i have everything? oh yeah and im using the Eagle program.  :smiley-yell:

My question is: I have looked around this site and i have found useful information on charlieplexing  and multiplexing and all that stuff but i dont know how to start out. i want to make my own LED matrix, similar to the LOL Shield that jimmie rodgers created. But i wouldnt even know what resistors to use and how many to use.

i would like to make a 20x10 or maybe bigger im not sure...(my plan here is to put it into a helmet i will make daft punk) or (make a tie shaped pcb to wear while i use my deadmau5 head)

is there any website out there that has a tutorial on these kinds of things? i searched the internet but with no success as i have no idea what to search...

it would be very awesome if you can help. :)
Omar Alvarez

polishdude20

well, there IS something called instructables you can search there. But I just made a PCB design today that basically puts together a 3x3x3 LED cube so no need to use a perfboard. I mean this might help you understand how matrices work and such before you go onto a 20x10 display. 20x10 would be hard due to there not being enough pins on the arduino! But there are ways to make it lower if you read the right things. There is a guy on youtube that explains that a bit . search : How multiplexing works or how to multiplex.
Well the PCB program I wrote is in the making (not yet tested) but in theory it should work cause its just a cleaner version of the one I saw on instructables. If you want me to attach it just tell me.

omar4578

thanks dude!

it would be awesome if you can just paste the instructable link to the tutorial please.

you see that is what i dont want to do, i dont want the perf board. i kinda want to design and make the PCB all on its own. instructables uses almost all those copperboards, ive seen very little PCB's that have been made by the authors, and the ones ive seen arent matices.

but i guess your right, i SHOULD understand the fundamentals first before even beginning to design.

thanks a lot dude.
Omar Alvarez

polishdude20

thanks dude!

it would be awesome if you can just paste the instructable link to the tutorial please.

you see that is what i dont want to do, i dont want the perf board. i kinda want to design and make the PCB all on its own. instructables uses almost all those copperboards, ive seen very little PCB's that have been made by the authors, and the ones ive seen arent matices.

but i guess your right, i SHOULD understand the fundamentals first before even beginning to design.

thanks a lot dude.

ok here's the link:

http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-Cube-and-Arduino-Lib/

and heres my design for that exact project. open it with Fritzing ( a great free tool for circuit design)

omar4578

wow! lol just downloaded the program, and it looks good! lol

but i dont see your design
Omar Alvarez

Go Up