Go Down

Topic: Auto transmission gear position indicator Display characters on i2C OLED (Read 677 times) previous topic - next topic

clmcr8

Need to understand :o  how to display PRND one letter at a time on a ssd1306 .96" OLED display. Based on analog inputs. Like A0 low (ground) input display shows P A1 low input displays R etc. I will use micro switches for the low inputs connected to automatic trans shift lever. Arduino R3 board. Where can I find a good example I can modify etc?

Delta_G

Did the library for it not come with examples?
|| | ||| | || | ||  ~Woodstock

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

clmcr8

Nothing useful. Been looking all morning for an example to make  gear position indicator. Not a bike but for a truck.

Delta_G

Well if I knew what library you were looking at I might could help you.  But you seem to be wanting to be really light on the details so I'm having a little trouble envisioning what you've got going on. 

Please do not PM with technical questions or comments.  Keep Arduino stuff out on the boards where it belongs.

clmcr8

I want to make a gear position indicator for my old Chevy truck. I have some OLED displays and a spare Arduino R3. As the shift lever moves to each gear position it will hit in sequence each micro switch. One for each gear like Park-Reverse etc. I want to display P,R,N,D,2,1 as each switch is tripped so I know what gear the transmission is in. I am new to this but not to mechanical or electrical 35 year auto tech. If I am in the wrong place kindly suggest the right place. Don't want to be given a sketch but want to use one close enough to learn from. Link to the right spot?

Thanks for your reply's so far

clmcr8

Arduino R3 .96" OLED with i2C I want to display P R N D on OLED when a micro switch provides a ground as each gear position is hit. Use A0-A3 as low input for each position. I will use one micro switch for each position 4 total. A sample sketch on how to use the inputs to display on a OLED or link to the best place to ask this question. I have samples for OLED like to display characters, symbols, images etc but nothing on how to make it display what I want using analog inputs.

Thank you! 

Delta_G

Sounds like you just need it statements checking to see which switch is made and setting a char variable with whatever letter you want.  If the letter changes then clear the screen and print it.

PaulRB

Try the "Gigs and Collaborations" section of this forum. Have a think first about how much you are willing to pay, and how many hours of effort that buys at minimum wage.

clmcr8

Thanks but I wanted to try myself. Just need a little help getting started.

Delta_G

Feb 17, 2018, 08:32 pm Last Edit: Feb 17, 2018, 08:33 pm by Delta_G
Haven't we already been talking about this?  Please don't start multiple threads on the same topic. 

Link To Other Thread

PaulRB

Feb 17, 2018, 08:40 pm Last Edit: Feb 17, 2018, 08:41 pm by PaulRB
Well, I'm glad to hear that, but it isn't how your post sounded to me, I have to say. Try reading it back to yourself.

Post your schematics and the code you have tried so far, even of they might be way off the mark. At least it demonstrates your willingness to learn and try stuff out. Read the forum sticky post, it will tell you how to post those things correctly.

robtillaart

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

UKHeliBob

Have you managed to get any text on the display ?
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

Delta_G

clmcr8

Your statement is correct. Sounds like you just need it statements checking to see which switch is made and setting a char variable with whatever letter you want.  If the letter changes then clear the screen and print it. Sorry if I have been short or confused sounding. Dr orders to find a stimulating new hobby.

I have been looking around so far Here is what I have decided: Use the digital I/O pins for a total of 6 separate inputs(one each gear position). They can be a ground(low) or some fixed resistance value. New char or characters displayed depending on which pin has an input. I2C-.96 OLED for one char or a I2C-1602 LCD shield for gear position words. I have been looking at some examples. When I have a rough-crude sketch to show I will post it. Unless I can find a close example to fiddle with. 

Thanks again

Go Up