Go Down

Topic: PIN6 LED "breathing" - what does this mean? (Read 419 times) previous topic - next topic

tmp2k

I have a MKR1000 and sometimes when I power it from an external 5V source via VIN instead of behaving as expected the LED on PIN6 starts "breathing", slowly fading on and off instead of running the sketch I've flashed onto the device.

If I unplug it and plug it back in, it loads my sketch as normal.

I can't find any documentation for the MKR1000 other than on the store page.

ballscrewbob

That is absoloutly normal for the CHARGE LED to do that without a LIPO connected

It has been mentioned a few times.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

tmp2k

The orange charge LED flashes.  That's not what I put in my post though.

It's the green LED attached to D6 that's breathing.

I also tried emailing support but I got a completely unhelpful canned response about removing ESD foam (MKR doesn't even have headers attached or foam), then asking a load of irrelevant questions, the relevant ones I had already answered in my initial email.

I don't understand why the MKR is shrouded in mystery, is it really that hard to just put some docs together?  IT took me weeks to get to the bottom of the last issue and the answer to that was "speak to Amtel".

ballscrewbob

In which case please supply the sketch that is causing the issue.
But use code tags ( </> ) to post it.

Could be you have something in the sketch that holds it from progressing until it gets a new connection.
You should also try the BLINK sketch but change the delays so that you know for sure it is YOUR version of blink.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

tmp2k

It seems to do it when it can't load the sketch.  It's a very deliberate effect, it slowly fades on and off at about 1Hz.  It doesn't matter what sketch is on the MKR, it either works and it runs the sketch, or it doesn't and I get a breathing LED.

It must be some kind of diagnostic signal, just wondered what it was trying to tell me.

The issue was with the power supply not being able to supply enough current sometimes, it was operating at about the limit. So I've fixed the issue, just would be nice to know what the actual error was it was trying to convey.

Go Up