Go Down

Topic: Problem with HardwareSerial being too slow (Read 113 times) previous topic - next topic

Hayabusa

I've been trying to implement a program on an Arduino UNO that samples AD values at 1 kHz and sends the acquired data via UART0 (USB) to a Raspberry Pi with a sufficient pySerial Interface.
My problem however is that the Serial.write command needs about 1 ms to execute, which is far too long because i try sampling with 1ms period and have to send out at least 4 bytes per ms, meaning at least 2 calls of Serial.write.

The code in v1.ino in the attachments was the first approach, where the problem appeared.

Since the overhead of the HardwareSerial class can't be neglegted i tried to configure the UART and all the other needed modules manually and implemented my own ISR.

Note that i made some improvements regarding GPS synchronisation from v1 to v2.
Unfortunately the last version doesn't seem to work at all.

To sum up the needed functionality of the program:
The Arduino receives a single byte representing the current run mode.
An auto-triggered ADC shall be executed every 1 ms.
For counting the Timer1 is used.
Timer1 is being reset by the PPS (pulse per second) signal of the GPS for synchronisation.
In mode '1' the result, aswell as a timestamp representing the expired ms,  shall be sent as uint16_t via USB.
In mode '2' the GPS Location is written to the port as 3 floats.

For the record: I don't own a oscilloscpe or logic analyzer to test the timer frequency or the UART ports

To view the output i use either my python interface or the screen packet on linux:

> screen /dev/ttyACMx y

where x is the Portnumber and y is the baud rate

I noticed that the data gets completly corrupted if i select baud rates higer than 115200 and even at 115200 i get corruption. At 38400 the data seems to be perfectly normal.

Thank you all for your help.

chucktodd

Just a question,
   Can the PI handle serial data that fast without flow control?
unless you have implemented Hardware flow control you could be overflowing the PI's input buffer and getting garbage. I know Windows :(  has problems with anything over 2400 baud of continuous data flows.  I had to implement RTS/CTS hardware flow controls for my Mega2560 projects to achieve reliable data transfers.

Chuck.
---------------------

Checkout my latest Mega2560 Project on Kickstarter : Memory Panes

Hayabusa

Hardware flow control shouldn't be needed.
I use the USB port of the raspberry and connect it with the USB port of the UNO, the series-USB converter converts the signal and pushes it on the UART0.
The converter should be able to handle at most 1MBaud.
The problem indicator is that i don't receive any input in my v2.ino.
If i transmit anything i see the RX LED illuminating so the converter chip isn't the problem, but something in my program.
Maybe some settings of mine are being overwritten by the standard libraries, but i see no indication for that being the case.

Go Up