Go Down

Topic: Adhoc networking (Read 70 times) previous topic - next topic

Sabai

Maybe somebody can help me with this question.

This is what I like to do with Arduino with a wifi shield

Instead of hard code the password and network name I would like to do like this
Connect the Wifi shield to my iphone
Wifi shield will ask for network name and password
Arduino saves the network name and password.
Arduino restarts and connect to the network I have entered

Is this even possible to do?

I just trying to learn Arduino so if you got a sample of this would be great.

I got it all running with WiflyHQ and all the examples that is included so I know its working be coding in passwords and network name.

//B

CatweazleNZ

Hi

A WIFI shield might be able to connect to an iPhone operating as a personal hotspot. The arduino could operate as a web server and have a page for entry of a second wifi name and password. You could log into the arduino web server on your iPhone, bring up the required web page and enter the required data.

The arduino would then have the second wifi name and password after it had processed the web page post or get html request. Perhaps then you could get the arduino to disconnect its wifi from your iPhone personal hotspot and reconnect to the second network.

Is this what you want to do?

Cheers

Catweazle NZ

SurferTim

May 26, 2015, 11:00 pm Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 11:10 pm by SurferTim
No. Can't do it. You need the password to connect. The SSID will be iPhone.

Watch for me on National Geographic Wild "When Sharks Attack: Gulf Coast Killers". Airs on June 22nd.

Thomas499

Is this even possible to do?

I just trying to learn Arduino so if you got a sample of this would be great.
I can't help you with Adhoc, I looked into that when I first started out, I seem to remember someone telling me the WiFi shield doesn't support Adhoc.

As far as saving network names and passwords. Yes. I'm pretty confident that you can set this up using a sd card, so that it searches for networks in range, and if one of the ones you programed it to recognize is found it will connect to that one. Sd card is the only way that I can help you with that will allow the arduino to remember the information after shutting down, without being hard coded.

Let me know your thoughts.
Thomas

Sabai

I got a new product at home to keep track of our electric bill, this one hade this cool function to connect to the network. The product hade one simple button and by pressing that one did it start a network without password so I could connect my Iphone to it. Got an app in the phone to add the network name and password but I guess this can be done with a webpage.

My ide is instead of adding an expensive screen to Arduino why not use smart phones that has a great screen! So if we think of it like a product that you can by, Arduino and Wifi Shield that is code for doing a special thing in your house.

So the Arduino and wifi shield is a commercial produkt all packed in a box. The gay that by it need to connect to there network, so its here I am now.

I can code in a network name let's say the name is "abc1234" So when we connect arduino do I like it to start up that network name, I can see the network on my smart phone connect to it. Once don I get up a web pages (or app) to enter my own network details. This can be saved to SD card so that can be done.

The problem is I have no ide where to start with this, I guess I have been searching the net for answers trying to find a example that I can start from but I can not find anything.

Thomas499

The product hade one simple button and by pressing that one did it start a network without password so I could connect my Iphone to it
I think that's a function that most routers have. You can press the button that allows people to connect to the internet without password. They must connect to the internet initially within a certain time of the button being pressed though. But once connected, their good to go.

You have a lot of spelling errors by the way. You need to work on that.

So you want to access a web page (or app) to enter the network details. I'm going to tell you upfront that without being connected to the internet already, the web page is out of the question. - It won't work

You may be able to connect to an app on your phone for this using bluetooth. You're thinking process is a bit unclear. Is that what you are thinking? Do you want a reference on which bluetooth chip is recommended? Do you want sample code that shows how to save information to a sd card?

Ask clearly, and specifically what it is you want from the forum.
Thomas

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy