Go Down

Topic: How does openlog readFile work? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

dania25

Instead of trying to read my MicroSD direct with the computer, I've set up a "logswitch" button, whereby when HIGH, openlog will log data to test.log.  When it is LOW, I want to readFile, and dump the data to the serial port (where I can capture the whole log with gobetweeno). 

Is this practical or possible? If so, could someone help me with the readFile(x, y, z)?  I would really just like a better explanation of how readFile works- as in, x is filename, y is start record (zero- I want the whole log) and z? can I determine the end of the record on the SD, then set it as a variable in place of z- in order to save the entire log to variable fullog?

ps, I know there is a problem with this part of the sketch, since openlog is not dropping into command mode (and therefore printing 13 to serial monitor).  The logging part works fine though :)
Code: [Select]
void logserial(){
  logger.begin(9600);
  if(digitalRead(logswitchpin) == HIGH){
  //logger.print(26, BYTE);
  //logger.print(13, BYTE);
  //delay(wait);
  //logger.print("append ");
  //logger.print("test.log");
  //logger.print(13, BYTE);
  //delay(wait);
  DateTime now = RTC.now();
   if(now.hour() < 10) {
     logger.print("0");
    }
  logger.print(now.hour(), DEC);
    logger.print(':');
    if(now.minute() < 10) {
      logger.print("0");
    }
    logger.print(now.minute(), DEC);
    logger.print(':');
    if(now.second() < 10) {
      logger.print("0");
    }
    logger.print(now.second(), DEC);
  logger.print(" ");
  logger.print(temp);
  logger.print(13, BYTE);
  logger.print(10, BYTE);
  }
  if(digitalRead(logswitchpin) != HIGH){// if we aren't loggin', were printin'!
  logger.print("sync");
  logger.print(13, BYTE);
  readFile("test.log",0, 8);
  String fulllog;
  fulllog = logger.read();
  Serial.begin(9600);
  delay(wait);
  Serial.print(fulllog);
  }
}
void readFile(char fname[40], int start, int length)
{
  int wait = 200;

//Send escape command
  logger.print(26, BYTE);
#ifdef OPENLOG_VERSION  NEW
  logger.print(26, BYTE);
  logger.print(26, BYTE);
#endif
  //We don't know where we are without checking. Either we just dropped to command prompt, or we were already sitting at the command prompt.
  //If we were already at the command prompt, then we've got a bunch of command characters sitting there.
  //Press enter to dump them
  logger.print(13, BYTE);
  delay(wait);
  logger.print("read ");
  logger.print(fname);
  logger.print(" ");
  logger.print(start);
  logger.print(" ");
  logger.print(length);

//OpenLog is echoing all the commands up to this point including 'read test.log 0 100', etc. We don't want this stuff in the buffer
  logger.flush(); //Remove all the trash in the current buffer

//Now send the enter command to OpenLog to actually initiate the read command
  logger.print(13, BYTE);

delay(wait);
}

dania25

Hmmm re-read the commands list over at GitHub, looks like sending openlog simply "read test.log" then ASCII 13, then doing a logger.read() will read the entire contents of the file, start to finish...

You know, I think most of the problems people have with openlog aren't because of openlog itself- but because the openlog examples given do not work.  I reworked the example sketch, and I have at least the logging part of mine working flawlessly, every time.  As soon as I can get the readfile working, I'm going to post up a new example that is tested and working(for at least the newest version of openlog). 

udzguru

hi!

did you manage to read a file / a string / whatever from openlog until today?

what i figured out is, that you need openlog to have firmware v2.5 to send it back to logging-mode using the 'reset' command from the command-mode.

perhaps we can help each other.

what i managed to achieve until now is: startup openlog, tell it to go to command-mode, tell it to open a file (which it does), and then send it back to log-mode.

what somehow doesn't work is reading openlogs output following the 'read file.txt' command to a variable which i could use.
it seems that something like this doesn't work (with or without the delay(50)):
Code: [Select]

String str="";

while (Serial.available()) {
    delay(50);
    char c = Serial.read();
    str += c;
  }

anyone an idea on how to read in the output the 'read file.txt' command of openlog in command-mode?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy