Go Down

Topic: ESP8266 - does Arduino IDE replace the entire firmware (Read 713 times) previous topic - next topic

Phil-D

Hi

I have an older AI-Thinker ESP8266 (bought 2 years ago) bare bones which I've got up and running fine and I have been able to upload the blink sketch.

I've been trying to find out what the situation is with the firmware.  Do I need to update the firmware to bring it up to date, or, when I upload from the Arduino IDE, is that replacing the entire firmware with a version from Arduino?

I know uploading from Arduino overwrites the standard AT command bit of the firmware, but what about things like the TCP/IP stack?  If Arduino is flashing the entire device, then of course it doesn't matter if I update the firmware or not, as it will just get replaced, which is fine, saves me bothering.

Regards

Phil

ieee488

Yes. It is an either-or situation.

AT firmware that came original with the module or ESP8266 Arduino Core firmware.

Juraj

the build from IDE contains the Espressif SDK libraries (lwip TCP and co.). in 2.4 and before nothing is deleted from the flash. in future version there will be a new option in menu for erase options (sketch, spiffs, wifi settings)
You can't write an Arduino sketch if you didn't learn programming. Not the language, but the concepts of programming - algorithms and data types.

Phil-D

Hi

Thank you for the replies.  So I take from this that there is no point (or need) in updating the firmware if I'm programming it using Arduino IDE, as that flashes a complete firmware of everything.

Regards

Phil

Juraj

So I take from this that there is no point (or need) in updating the firmware if I'm programming it using Arduino IDE, as that flashes a complete firmware of everything.
yes. bootloader + SDK + your sketch. You can see on console, how big the bin is for simple sketch like Blink
You can't write an Arduino sketch if you didn't learn programming. Not the language, but the concepts of programming - algorithms and data types.

BIOT

Does that mean that updates to the firmware will automatically be visible to the Arduino IDE? I'm running into issues with the MDNS library and per the Arduino IDE library manager the built in version is unknown.

I've seen updates show up on IDE startup but never for built in libraries...

Thanks.

Juraj

esp8266 package authors integrate new SDK versions into esp8266 package versions. new version of the package is 2.4.1 with sdk update to v2.2.0-3-gf8f27ce

Go Up