Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Bitbang & upload to standalone, without removing 328.  (Read 1414 times)
Scotland
Edison Member
Have you had your Arduino fix today?
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have just had to program 10 of these chips using my duemilenove. I built a programming board with a ZIF socket, 16Mhz resinator, a 10k resistor (to keep the reset line high), and a 10nf smoothing cap on the power lines. I also have an LED with resistor, and three pin headers, one 2 way for power from the duemilenove, one 2 way for Tx and Rx lines, and finaly a 4 way for SPI programming,  and a reset button.

I Bitbang the boot loader from the 4 way pin header on the duemilenove using AVRDUDE-GUI (as covered in the forums). But wanted to use the duemilenove as a USB to SERIAL bridge for programming the chips with sketches. So hooked up digital pins 0 and 1 to the standalone pins 2 and 3 (LEG numbers, NOT the digital pin numbers).

Just to try I held down the reset button on the duemilenove, hit upload sketch, waited until the project was built, and tapped the reset button on the standalone. BINGO - sketch uploaded.

No more bent pins swapping chips - Virtualy no ware on the chips - and no damage to my arduino.

Drew.
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - My UK Based PCB Fab & Assembly Company
Design work undertaken
SMD & Thru-Hole assembly

ਪੰਜਾਬ
Edison Member
Another year! Alone! :(
View Profile

That is nice!, i use BITBANGING with Deumilanove but never had damaged pin's out or in the ZIF socket because of some simple procedure to get the chip out(sticking something soft like some flat plastic card beneath the chip's space between the ZIF socket and giving it slow movement's) or the other idea i had is to use another ZIF socket and mount the ATmega on it and then mount ZIF on the ZIF!! ,yes it works no damage to anything PLus! smooth working very easy to take it out.
As you use the ZIF socket's too in your standalone (if you really do that ,you can too use this for Good!).

"Real Men can Accomplish  Anything"
-  Website  

ਫ਼ਤੇਹ ਕਰੂਂ !

View Profile

Heck yeah! Imma check this out myself for my At32L!

Scotland
Edison Member
Have you had your Arduino fix today?
View Profile

Thanks for the reply Nishant, The socket on the arduino is a DIN socket, a ZIF socket is the one with a lever to release the chip. I have programmed dozens of chips with the arduino, and ruined 3 - not many, but on a limited budget, it's more than enough - the programing board was made from my bitza box, so cost me nothing  smiley-lol .

Drew.
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - My UK Based PCB Fab & Assembly Company
Design work undertaken
SMD & Thru-Hole assembly

ਪੰਜਾਬ
Edison Member
Another year! Alone! :(
View Profile

That's really nice! of your Finding's.

"Real Men can Accomplish  Anything"
-  Website