Go Down

Topic: Buy or create universal RF 2.4GHz controller (Read 633 times) previous topic - next topic

badwho

I have a Boardlink rm pro, unfortunately it doesn't support RF 2.4GHz signal learning.

Two of my lamps are controlled using 2.5GHz RF remote and the Boardlink rm pro can't learn those signals (it only supports 315/433 MHz).

Do you know any universal RF 2.4GHz remote (with internet connection)? Or even better, do you know a device that can be controlled using IR to dispatch pre-learned RF 2.4GHz signals? In this way I will be able to control it using the Broadlink (all is the same app).

My guess: the device that I looking for is too specific and it doesn't exists. So the only option is to take an Arduino and build it by myself.

Do you know any Arduino project that are similar to what I looking for? Although i'm an experienced software engineer, i'm newbie in the makers field.

Thanks!

jremington

An infinite number of RF communications protocols are possible, and very different ones are implemented on the different 2.4GHz radio chips. In addition, some techniques used by manufacturers are proprietary, so making a universal controller is almost (and perhaps completely) out of the question.

badwho

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but why can't it just repeat the same signals that the RF 2.4Ghz remote control have sent?

INTP

Based on the device and protocol, it may utilize a rolling code system.

But in theory, there is nothing stopping you from recording and resending the same signal. The only obstacles are obtaining the equipment needed to read that raw signal and a transmitter to send it. Such things are costly because they are not common and possibly require licensing.

badwho

So there is no module that can record those signals, for arduino or any other programmable devices?

jremington

Mar 01, 2018, 11:01 pm Last Edit: Mar 01, 2018, 11:03 pm by jremington
No, no module.

badwho

I understand that the main problem here that the most of RF 2.4GHz remotes communicates over proprietary protocols and not just sending the same commands for each "button" as IR remotes.
Am I right?

jremington

With IR, the beam is almost always either ON or OFF and just the ON/OFF timing is changed in various ways to represent the data bits. There are many ways, though.

With radio, the frequency can be changed and the amplitude can be changed (not just ON or OFF) in infinitely many ways. There is no standard for how bits are represented, how a data packet is put together, whether the message has to be acknowledged, etc.

If there were a market or need for a universal RF remote, you would be able to buy it on eBay.

INTP

I understand that the main problem here that the most of RF 2.4GHz remotes communicates over proprietary protocols and not just sending the same commands for each "button" as IR remotes.
Am I right?
Close enough. But statements about 'most RF remotes' are baseless. What kind of lamps have remotes on 2.4GHz? Have a link to product page? How do you know they're on 2.4GHz?

When it comes to remotes of any frequency that uses secure protocols such as rolling code, then duping the signal with an Arduino is out of the question. A sensible solution is to just use the remote that you already have and use an Arduino to activate the buttons for you. I.e., your lamps have a remote that handles the signal sending, you can just duct tape an Arduino to it and then in turn use whatever wireless tech you want to communicate to the Arduino and tell the Arduino to push those buttons.

Go Up