Go Down

Topic: Uno does not work with Windows 2000 ? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Loudhvx

I searched, and the only topic I could find had no resolution to the problem. 
I also went through the troubleshooting guide.
I installed the driver as directed.
My laptop identifies the arduino Uno on Com 5 in the device manager.
The arduino environment shows the Uno is connected to Com 5.
The Uno is the board that is selected.
The upload begins to work.
I get Rx and Tx lights on the Uno.
Then I get a few error messages like:
avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp = 0x41

Then at the end it says: use -F to override this check.
-F and do what with it?

The Uno's yellow LED stops blinking and stays on solid.

I would have posted in the original thread, but it is now read-only.
Thanks,
Lou

Loudhvx

Well, it works fine in XP, so I guess it is not compatible with Win2k.

Loudhvx

Update:
It appears to be a USB driver issue. 

I can get Arduino to work using the FTDI Basic breakout board to upload sketches to a standalone Atmega328 (running with the Duemilanove bootloader).  No problems.
The FTDI board also passes the Tx-->Rx loopback test with no problems.

The UNO board won't upload sketches to the standalone Atmega328 (but it works fine on an XP machine).
The UNO board also does not work correctly in loopback. When I use the serial monitor to do a loopback test, I can only get the first line echoed back. After that, the serial monitor receives nothing. The Tx and Rx lights still light up on the UNO board when I send a line of text from the serial monitor, but the monitor shows no text.  If I restart the UNO environment, I can once again get one line of text to work in the serial monitor loopback.

I've played with the baud rates on the serial monitor and on the Port Settings. Sometimes just doing that will let me succefully loopback one line of text.

I'm not very familiar with USB communication.  I wonder if it's an issue with the USB port on the laptop being too old. I think it's a USB 1.0 version. The USB driver is from 2003. When was USB 2.0 released?

Loudhvx

see here http://arduino.cc/playground/Main/UnoWin2k
Thanks, Yeah, those are the options I considered. I ended up going with option 4, the FTDI basic from Sparkfun.  It can communicate to the 328 chips directly through Windows 2000, even if the chip uses an UNO bootloader.  That's how I usually use the Arduino environment.  I don't use the actual UNO board too often (never on a Win2K computer).

The FTDI basic also lets me use one of those mini-laptops that only have USB ports.

Go Up