Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Duty cycle for solenoid  (Read 1426 times)
Texas
Edison Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

You may have missed my previous question.

What is your solenoid planned to push (or pull)? How far does it need to move? How hard is it to push?
If it is easy to push, use a small power solenoid, if it is hard to push, use a high power one.

Is 60 ms enought time for all the mechanical motion to be accomplished?

Good luck, Jack

View Profile

The solenoid is used as a kicker which needs to kick a ball. The force needs to be large as the velocity at which the solenoid(including the mass of the kicker) needs to be a certain speed. Basically the kicker will strike the ball at a stroke of 40mm.

Texas
Edison Member
View Profile

Ok, I have a better understanding now. You may have to tamper with the 60ms, when you get there. I don't know if you may need a bit more time or not.

Good luck, Jack

SW Scotland
Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

You're still missing the point

If you want 180watts out of your proposed 24volt solenoid then you have to drive it with 65 volts.  

The information is on the data table.

But  -  and it's a big but - you are proposing a pulse duration of only 60mS so rather than watts you need to be talking about energy  viz joules.   Then do some mechanical maths and work out how much energy is required to overcome the inertia of the ball to launch it at x metres/second.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:22:27 pm by jackrae » Logged

Texas
Edison Member
View Profile

@jackrae,
Glad you agree with me. I was beginning to think I was on the wrong track. I don't know how heave the ball is, or how far he needs to move it, but I am think 60ms is not enough. More like 300ms maybe.

Good luck, Jack

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

To confirm, the solenoid being used is the 24V, not the 120V as originally stated. To be able to apply a power of 180 watt I would require 7.5 amp if Im not mistaken? This should then give the force profile as shown on the graph of the 10% duty cycle.

What do you mean by "the 24V"? On that page you linked to, the solenoids are specified by AWG number and resistance, along with a maximum voltage at various duty cycles (and 24V exactly doesn't appear in the table).

When using the arduino to switch a driver circuit on and off what component would be required in the switching circuit which acts as the "switch" which is controlled by the arduino?

A mosfet.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: