Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Pro Mini 328: Regulator robustness?  (Read 1288 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've been using a 5.1 v regulator both to power an Arduino and provide current for off-board passive components in a project.

I'm beginning to wonder, though, whether the Arduino's regulator might be capable of supplying my off-board needs as well. I could eliminate that off-board regulator.

I can't find specs for max current/power drain on that regulator -- can't even find out quite what that chip IS.

Anyone know? I hate to blow one up finding out the hard way.   ;-)

Faraday Member
ruggedcircuits.com
View Profile

If this is the Arduino Pro Mini 328 from Sparkfun then note that they publish the schematic:

http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/DevTools/Arduino/Arduino-Pro-Mini_328-v11.pdf

The regulator looks like a MIC5205 and they even have schematic notes that it's rated for 150mA maximum (I'd be wary of pushing it to this limit regularly).

--
The Arduino Drum Machine: 14-track MIDI drum machine sequencer / groove-box

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Argh. I had only checked the schematic here at arduino.cc, linked from the hardware page. The print is for version 10 (168) and is silent about the regulator.

The Sparkfun copy of the schematic (version 11, the 328) is more complete.

Yeah, I guess I won't be leaning on that regulator for anything serious off-board. Darn the luck! Not a big surprise, though.

Thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: