Go Down

Topic: Checking if a lcd works or not (Read 322 times) previous topic - next topic

samuele55598

Hi, i connected this LCD to arduino following this tutorial https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/HelloWorld
but the lcd won't work, is there any way idk with a tester or something to check whether or not the lcd works because it seems to be broken, Thank you

Grumpy_Mike

is there any way idk with a tester or something to check whether or not the lcd works
Only doing what you are doing. Get one to work to make sure you haven't got a fault in the wiring or the software.

bperrybap

From the photos, it looks like you didn't solder the header pins to the LCD module.
No solder == very unlikely to work, since without solder there are no good electrical connections.
The tutorial that you linked to said to do this and showed a photo of the header pins soldered to the LCD module.

--- bill

Grumpy_Mike

From the photos, it looks like you didn't solder the header pins to the LCD module.
Well spotted, there is zero chance of this working without soldering.

justone

Also the breadboard power rails have a break in them.

dougp

Mar 13, 2018, 04:56 am Last Edit: Mar 13, 2018, 04:57 am by dougp
Also the breadboard power rails have a break in them.
+1    Add some jumpers where indicated.

If the image is enlarged it does appear the header is (frugally) soldered, it's hard to make out due to the darkness of the photo.

So two neutrinos went into a bar.  Nothing happened.  They were just passing through.

bperrybap

Mar 13, 2018, 03:10 pm Last Edit: Mar 13, 2018, 03:29 pm by bperrybap
If the image is enlarged it does appear the header is (frugally) soldered, it's hard to make out due to the darkness of the photo.
Look at the other photo. Doesn't look soldered to me and the ground looks like a jumper through the PCB into the breadboard.

dougp

Doesn't look soldered to me...

You're right.  No nice little cones of solder on the pins.
So two neutrinos went into a bar.  Nothing happened.  They were just passing through.

bperrybap

You're right.  No nice little cones of solder on the pins.
I don't see any solder at all on any of the pins sticking up through the PCB holes.
--- bill

GolamMostafa

Mar 13, 2018, 07:13 pm Last Edit: Mar 14, 2018, 04:20 am by GolamMostafa
You're right.  No nice little cones of solder on the pins.
Good soldering makes 'solder cones/bridges' of this kind around solder joints:

Go Up