Go Down

Topic: Windows 10 - Can't uninstall for a fresh installation  (Read 939 times) previous topic - next topic

PaulJardin

Hello everyone

First of all, just know that I did a lot of researches before, and I didn't find anything that works for me, so that's why I'm posting here. I recently uninstalled Arduino in order to reinstall (because I think that I forgot to check some boxes or something, but well it's not important anymore). But unfortunately, I can't reinstall Arduino...

My computer is under Windows 10, and when I go to Settings -> Applications, there is still "Arduino" here (and that's strange because I deleted everything, I even did a defragmentation, etc...), and when I click on it and select "Uninstall", it shows :

Code: [Select]

"Windows doesn't find 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\uninstall.exe'. Check that you entered the correct name, and try again"

So it looks like I really uninstalled Arduino (even if there is still "Arduino" in my applications...) but when I download it again on the official website, when I launch it, and new message appears that says :

Code: [Select]
"Arduino version 1.8.5 is already installed and must be uninstalled before you install this version. This won't affect sketches or libraries in the sketch directory.

Click 'OK' to uninstall from : C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino

Click 'Cancel' if you have files in the install directory that you wish to keep (most users don't). Copy them somewhere else then re-run the installer."

So basically it says that I can't install Arduino because I have to uninstall it first, but when I got to my Settings and Applications and I select "Uninstall" for Arduino, it says that the uninstallation file is missing...

Does someone have an idea ?

Thank you for your time (by the way, sorry for my english, I tried to do my best, I translated the first error message so it's maybe not 100% accurate, but the 2nd error message appears in english on my computer so that's just a copy and paste) ! :)

sterretje

The mistake you seem to have made is to uninstall by deleting a directory using Windows explorer. Is that correct?

Just some ideas.

You might have to clean the registry of any remains if Arduino in there. Be careful and make a backup first.

You can also try to create an Arduino directory in program files (x86) and see if that helps.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

pert

If you did delete it you could probably restore it from your Recycle Bin, then do a real uninstall.

A workaround would be to use the "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" download from http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software. That version doesn't require installation. You just unzip the downloaded file and you're ready to use the Arduino IDE. You can move the unzipped folder to any convenient location you prefer.

sterretje

One might even be able to put it back in program files (x86) and next try to uninstall.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

ballscrewbob

Clean up routine added as attachment for your pleasure.

Works on all win platforms so far.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

ctbruce

I have windows 10, I downloaded Arduino 1.8.5 IDE, it some how got a bug or something. It says I need Administrator permission to open this file. I am the only Administrator on this machine. I have clicked on the file for Arduino and clicked on security to allow "everyone" permission for this file and I still can't delete it. I have gone to every point I can think of and deleted anything Arduino related but the documents file still remains and won't let me delete ir without Admin permission.
I need help !!!

ballscrewbob

@ctbruce

Start with the clean up PDF's attached to the post above yours.

Clearly there is some form of security or policy in effect on your computer.
You say you are the only admin but there are at least two levels of admin.

A user with admin privileges is not the same as a full administrator.

Some people also mistake being the only user of a computer as a user with admin rights which is a fallacy.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

ctbruce

Have used the link but I still can not delete the Arduino File, the Administrator Permission is still there

ctbruce

@ctbruce

Start with the clean up PDF's attached to the post above yours.                   Did that

Clearly there is some form of security or policy in effect on your computer.
You say you are the only admin but there are at least two levels of admin.

A user with admin privileges is not the same as a full administrator.

Some people also mistake being the only user of a computer as a user with admin rights which is a fallacy.

I checked in the control panel and it shows I am the Administrator and nobody else is listed.

ballscrewbob

Who set up your OS ?

What other security do you have installed antivirus etc. ?

Is this your OWN computer (not an EDU / LOANER / COMPANY) ?

Which file / folder in particular are you having issues with ( DETAILS ) ?

ctbruce

Ok, I will try to answer all your questions:

The OS was installed by the Mfg. Toshiba it was Windows 8 and was upgraded theu windows 10 upgrade

I hav McAfee it is up dated and just scanned my system with no issues

This is my own machine and Nobody else is in my household that uses it EVER (only my wife and I and the cat) oh maybe the .....na

The file was downloaded from the Arduino site from the non-administrator download. I am able to download and once downloaded I can Delete that file no issues just this particular one Arduino 1.8.5 windows

ctbruce

When I click on the Downloaded Arduino 1.8.5 windows and open it it has a bunch of sub folders like hardware, tools, avr. No exe or any program files. Clicking on each one of these folders opens another
folder etc.

pert

The file was downloaded from the Arduino site from the non-administrator download. I am able to download and once downloaded I can Delete that file no issues just this particular one Arduino 1.8.5 windows
What?? You are making no sense. Just answer the question:
Which file / folder in particular are you having issues with ( DETAILS ) ?

ctbruce

ctbruce

ballscrewbob, Thank You for all your Help, I appreciate it.

And to Pert, you are an idiot, you just butt in with that assanine comment which shows you have no respect of others no matter how much you know.

Go Up