Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Mini 04 with ATmega328  (Read 9158 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I just received an Arduino mini 04 with an ATmega328 (instead of an ATmega168) from Sparkfun and I am having issues uploading sketches to the board.  I have selected Arduino Mini as my board and have selected the correct COM Port.  I have wired the mini USB extension adapter and board according the guide here: http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoMini  I am getting power to the arduino mini 04 board no problem. 
I tried to upload the Blink example sketch it continues to say "Uploading to I/O Board..."  and never finishes uploading even after 20 minutes.  I am running the latest Arudino 0022 onn a windows 7 machine.  Anyone have any idea why it stalls during the upload?

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Hold down the Shift key when you click the Upload button.  What shows up in the output / status window?

View Profile

C:\Users\me\Documents\Arduino\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\me\Documents\Arduino\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega168 -cstk500v1 -P\\.\COM6 -b19200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\build5884620712314103115.tmp\Blink.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 11 2007 at 19:12:32
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\me\Documents\Arduino\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port            : \\.\COM6
         Using Programmer      : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate  : 19200
avrdude: ser_open(): setting dtr

And thats is nothing else it still says uploading to I/0 Board.  Does it think the mini is has a ATmega 168? would that cause an issue because the mini 04 I have has an ATmega328

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Does it think the mini is has a ATmega 168?

That isn't the problem.  AVRDUDE isn't reaching the microcontroller.  You could have a Motorola 68000 processor on the other end and the symptom would be the same.

Looks like AVRDUDE is getting stuck in the kernel driver.  I can think of two things to try...

1. Ensure you are using the latest drivers for the "mini USB extension adapter"

2. Different USB cable

View Profile

Hello,

I seem to have the same issue.  I also purchased a Mini from Sparkfun and the chip is a 328.  I have tried every trick I could find on these forums and nothing seems to work.

I have circuit with a reset button...I tried to time the reset...
I have an interface with the DTR line of the Mini USB adapter (newest version).  ( I copied off the the Nano schematic)  This does work because the indication LED blinks 3 times when I hit upload in the IDE.

No dice...

My circuit:

When I try to upload a sketch I always get the same output as everyone else with Mini upload problems:

"Binary sketch size: 2180 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)
C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega168 -cstk500v1 -P\\.\COM4 -b19200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\saec-kv\AppData\Local\Temp\build6545575129176962314.tmp\AnalogInput.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 11 2007 at 19:12:32
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0022\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port            : \\.\COM4
         Using Programmer      : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate  : 19200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20]
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0xcc

avrdude done.  Thank you."

Also, after the board is reset, it does the 3 quick LED flashes to state that the bootloader is running.  After a couple more seconds the LED will flash one time, with a longer on duration, and then is sends via serial the following error message:

"ERROR:pin 2-3"  I cannot find any documentation of where this error message comes from.  I have combed the source code for the bootloaders, avrdude, and anything else I can find.  Nothing...

Lastly,

I tried to re-burn the bootloader as a normal Mini (168) and I get this error message:

avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA168 is 1E 94 06
         Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

Sorry for the long post.

Any Ideas?

~Matt

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

The Mini 04 needs the reset button pressed when you upload in my experience.  If it has a 328 then try the Pro Mini 328 5V setting for the board.  Or the duemilanova - so long as the processor and clock speed match it ought to work.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Netherlands, Arnhem
View Profile

Has anyone worked this one out yet?

I seem to have the same problem: arduino mini4 with AtMega 28p

I use the setup as described in: http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoMini with the usb adapter also (old version_ so different from the example_ could this affect something?)

and after resetting, the led connected to pin13 flashes 3 times, and when i press upload (also tried different timing etc.) it says:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x20
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0xc)

also tried different serial ports and different boards / combinations  in the tools menu but nothing seems to work

View Profile

Same problem

however i did notice the arduino is constantly sending 4 byte messages

captured over 5 seconds:

F5   B2   52   FA      F5   86   52   FA      F5   86   52   FA      F5   86   22   FA      F5   B6   52   FA      F5   86   52   FC      F5   86   52   FA      F5   86   52   FA      F5   86   52   FA      F5   86   52   FA      49   86   52   FA      F5   86   52   FA      F5   B1   52   FA      F5   86   22   FA      F5   86   22   FA      F5   86   52   FA      F5   A6   52   FA      F5   86   52   FA      F5   B1   52   FA   F5   86   52   FA

View Profile

anyone got a solution yet ?

Versailles France
View Profile

sparkfun mini usb  + Sparkfun arduino mini ( with AT328 and unknowed bootloader ) : same issue, same results...
I have looked carefully on arduino pro 5V to apply the same schematic ( reset , supply , DTR connection ) on these arduino mini .
I use arduino software with arduino pro 5V  16 Mhz setting : upload start..and nothing append.
Next step : upload bootloader from arduino software, and try again. I'm waiting my tinyusb board.I have choosed these Sparkfun solution to have efficienty hardware solution : it is not : A lot of time loosed...

View Profile

I finally got it to work:

So I returned the Arduino 04 mini and received arduino mini pro and had the same problem.  Then I thought it was the usb adapter so I ordered a the FTDI Basic Breakout - 5V.  Same problem same errors.

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: Send: Q [51]   [20]
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Then I tried a different computer running windows XP and it worked!  It still does not work on the 64 bit windows 7 for some reason.  Both machines were using Arduino 0022.  I could also be a driver issue, but I did try updating the drivers for the USB breakout board at some point and it didn't help. 

View Profile

Weird. I tried win xp but wihtin a vmware. I'll reinstall win xp on my test rig and give it a try

View Profile

Hi everybody

Same problem here. Tried it on Mac OS X 10.6.7 and Windows XP (fresh installation).

Using:
-Arduino Mini 04 with ATmega328
-Arduino Serial USB Board (connected like showed in the guide)
-Arduino SW 0022           

View Profile

Same here. Any solutions?

View Profile

Problem solved!

Add the following lines to boards.txt:

Code:
mini328.name=Arduino Mini with ATmega328

mini328.upload.protocol=stk500
mini328.upload.maximum_size=28672
mini328.upload.speed=115200

mini328.bootloader.low_fuses=0xff
mini328.bootloader.high_fuses=0xd8
mini328.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x05
mini328.bootloader.path=bt
mini328.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega328.hex
mini328.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
mini328.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F

mini328.build.mcu=atmega328p
mini328.build.f_cpu=16000000L
mini328.build.core=arduino

Now you can select your board "Arduino Mini with ATmega328". Do a reset 1 second before upload.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: