Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: H Bridge Chip Suggestions  (Read 1035 times)
nothing worth doing was ever easy
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've been working on a robot project, and I'd like to build a custom PCB which combines a avr microcontroller, power supply, h-bridge and sensor circuits. My attempt is partially to learn about making my own PCB, but also I'd like to make a nice clean robot without a bunch of wires hanging off it.

So far nothing has been too overwhelming, but I came across quite a few h-bridge chips in my research and I wondered if there was some guidance from the group on some of the options.

My needs are pretty basic. Two 0.15 amp 3v motors, I'd like to operate fwd/reverse with PWM speed control.

A few chips I've looked at:

L293D
L298
LMD18200

Does anybody have experience with these chips and how did it work for you?

I have a couple of 298s in my stock, but I don't have fast recovery diodes. But, overall it seems a bit overkill for my needs.

If you need further details just let me know.

Many thanks,
Mike

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

I was just reading the L293D datasheet for someone else, looks like it'd do the trick for those motors.
Built in diodes too.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Be aware that these types of chips may have a voltage drop across them that might be significant in the 3v range. 4.5v might be needed to get full performance from the 3v motors.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

View Profile

Be aware that these types of chips may have a voltage drop across them that might be significant in the 3v range. 4.5v might be needed to get full performance from the 3v motors.

I was planning on a 9V power supply (AA batteries) for the entire board, so I'm thinking I should be ok?

View Profile

I'm wondering, did I get the hook ups on the 293D correct (see circuit attachment)?

Do they make a dual inverter? Or do I need to use a hex, and waste the empty pins?

* Screen shot 2011-02-25 at 9.46.44 PM.png (21.98 KB, 485x609 - viewed 14 times.)

* Screen shot 2011-02-25 at 10.52.55 PM.png (40.7 KB, 996x667 - viewed 10 times.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:53:55 pm by dezguy » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Sure, you can get a dual inverter - its called 2 transistors smiley

But if you're not doing much else, why not just use 2 more pins?

* simple_inverter.jpg (27.81 KB, 960x720 - viewed 16 times.)

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

View Profile

Yeah that looks much simpler. smiley

Do you mean, use two pins on the mu?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Yes, 6 pins total from the arduino. 1A ,2A, 1-2Enable, 3A, 4A, 3-4Enable.

Transistor and 2 resistors about as simple as it gets for an inverter. I used that to invert a TTL level serial stream so the 328 UART would read it correctly.

You could try this sn74lvc2gu04 from TI if you don't mind surface mount
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74lvc2gu04.pdf

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: