Go Down

Topic: Servos: backlash + noise? (Read 673 times) previous topic - next topic

roypardi

Noobie servo questions:

I haven't worked with servos before and I'm wondering what sort of backlash one can expect with them. I also haven't priced/sourced them yet - so are cheap ones likely to suffer from more backlash or is servo gearing overall generally tight?

Also noise - when I have seen servo projects, they tended to have pretty loud gearing/motor noise (say compared to non-servo gearhead DC motors) Is that  just a characteristic of all servos or just low(er) end?

tx!

retrolefty

Noobie servo questions:

I haven't worked with servos before and I'm wondering what sort of backlash one can expect with them. I also haven't priced/sourced them yet - so are cheap ones likely to suffer from more backlash or is servo gearing overall generally tight?

Also noise - when I have seen servo projects, they tended to have pretty loud gearing/motor noise (say compared to non-servo gearhead DC motors) Is that  just a characteristic of all servos or just low(er) end?

tx!

Most hobby servos have pretty low backlash, I don't think you will have a problem with that. As far as noise, several have asked that recently and it's pretty much hit and miss depending on specific servo model used. As it's not a published spec on any servo I recall all I can recommend is you ask around on a R/C forum for peoples experience and recommendation for the quiet servos. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php

I've seen servos from around $8 to $200 dollares, so quality and capablities have a wide range. The better brand name servos offer specifications that can help is choosing. http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/analog/index.html

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy