Go Down

Topic: Filtering analog inputs (Read 104 times) previous topic - next topic

rickerman

Hi,

I am working on a custom dash project for a motorcycle engine, this will show the current rpm of the engine and the current gear on 2 separate neopixel strips.

I am using the gear position sensor that is connected to the engine. It is a rotary potentiometer and is supplied with 5V (From the engine electrics) and has 2 output wires. One is a neutral indicator that is either 12V or 0V, depeding on whether the engine is in neutral or not. The other output is a variable voltage between 0V and 5V that changes depending on which gear is selected. This is the wire I am trying to read with the Arduino.

Here is the very simple circuit that I was using to interface the sensor with the arduino.

The Arduino is getting powered from the 12V electrics on the bike, it goes via a LM2596S switching regulator, this is set to step down the voltage to 5V and is connected to the Arduino 5V pin. I am also powering the Neopixel strips from the buck converter.

Everything is working fine, I can see that each gear has a unique voltage range that it fits into, until I run the engine, then I get values that could be in the other bands, I believe it is getting affected by EMI from the ignition coils.

Is there anything I can add in order to filter out these spikes? I am thinking that the reference 5V is getting affected, causing the analogRead to be out, or the voltage coming is is getting changed by the EMI, or both.

Regards,

MarkT

Mar 18, 2018, 04:31 pm Last Edit: Mar 18, 2018, 04:33 pm by MarkT
Replace the zener with a 100nF capacitor. (As close to the Arduino as possible).

The zener isn't needed anyway (since the 10k resistor limits the current nicely if the input
were to be too high a voltage).  The capacitor will filter out lots of EMI, acting as a low-pass filter.
You might need a higher value capacitor if the interference is still a problem, and more shielding
of the Arduino itself might be needed, but I'd try 100nF or so to start with.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

tinman13kup

Also mind where you run the wires. Keep them away from the ignition circuits as best as you can.
Tom
It's not a hobby if you're not having fun doing it. Step back and breathe

ted

I will kept the zener, arduino doesn't like voltages above 5V, use shielded wires for sensor, if you still have problem put your toys in to metal box.

Go Up