Arduino faster than the Mega?

I assume it's possible to make Arduinos that have custom specs.

How can one do this?

And is there a limit to how fast you can custom make an Arduino?

I was meaning something along the lines of a faster embedded device that is just as easy to program. By the way can I program an Arduino in Java?

Netduino maybe?

If you want to program in Java, you might want to have a look at a beagle board or some sort of clone. It is however a complete computer and not a microcontroller.

Why do you need a faster device? Have you had a look at some of the DSPs available? They are not easy to program like the Arduino, but you can use C++ on some of them.

The Arm based Mable board might be of some interest to you, check it out:

Lefty

I want to get a faster Arduino type thing because apparently the mega is too slow to even take still 640x480 pictures.

Okay... I might get a Netduino. But could someone give an example or examples of what a Mega could do that an Uno couldn't?

Chicken325:
Okay... I might get a Netduino. But could someone give an example or examples of what a Mega could do that an Uno couldn't?

Well it can hold a much larger program, 128k Vs 32K, holds more sram for variables, arrays, stack space, 8K Vs 2K. Has 54 I/O pins Vs 20. Also 4 hardware serial ports Vs one, more user interrupt pins, more hardware timers. I think that about covers it.

Okay, I've decided on the Uno. SparkFun is sold out; do you have any suggestions as to where I should get it?

Chicken325:
Okay, I've decided on the Uno. SparkFun is sold out; do you have any suggestions as to where I should get it?

Where are you located?

Unos with the DIP version of the Atmel chip have been in short supply for months.

Actually, there seems to have been a run delivered to the distributors relatively recently. Both digikey and mouser have stock, for instance.

That doesn't mean that there is a steady supply available, though. Just that you can get them now.
This sort of thing really sucks for "real" manufacturers that need to keep a continuous supply of their products flowing to retailers/etc...

The main advantage of the Mega over the normal Arduino is more pins. The number of "how do I connect more than 14 things to my Arduino" questions has been quite large, historically speaking.

Does anyone know if the Arduino 'company' plans on offering both the dip and smd versions of the Uno in the future?

It would a real shame if they didn't continue to offer a dip mounted version as that takes away some of the flexiblity and ease of repair, both important features in my opinion.

Lefty

Arduino will always provide a DIP version of the basic Arduino board

(as long as ATMEL keeps making the processors)

m

Thank you for that information. That is a wise decision on your part. :wink:

Lefty

Its a big proviso.......

Having diluted the Arduino market, by making an SMD version (I know, I know, devil and the deep blue sea/ rock and a hard place etc) it gives 'em more excuse to drop the DIP altogether.

pluggy:

Its a big proviso.......

Having diluted the Arduino market, by making an SMD version (I know, I know, devil and the deep blue sea/ rock and a hard place etc) it gives 'em more excuse to drop the DIP altogether.

Well the main missing open source component of the Arduino platform is the reliance on a proprietary controller the AVR chip. Without a second source with manufacturing rights to produce the chip(S) the project will always be somewhat dependent of Atmel. Back when I was first exposed to the electronics industry through my employment a company would almost never design in a component unless there was already a 2nd source for the component. I guess in this day of highly complex and expensive IC development that concept has fallen by the wayside. However even today one can utilize Intel or AMD processors for PC manufacturing? I understand that the Arduino wave does not have a big enough tail to wag the ATMEL dog, but still I hold out hope that the DIP format does not go the way of the fahnestock clip (how old am I :D)

Lefty

Edit: My bad, fahnestock clips are still alive and well: fahnestock clip - Google Search

The arduino tail certainly isn't wagging the ATMEL dog, but it'll be coming somewhere close to wagging the ATMEL DIP dog I shouldn't wonder.

ATMEL will keep making DIP processors, they told me so in a meeting I had in norway.

Having said this, it's a worldwide trend. All manufacturers are making less and less dip parts.

For sure the volume of boards that Arduino makes it's way too small to influence any product decision on ATMEL's part (or any other manufacturer)

m