Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Downloads  (Read 1009 times)
Castaic Ca
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

http:// :|My first post ever.
1. Where do I get downloads of schetches from MakerShack GETTING STARTED ?
2. Is this a good place for getting started questions?
3. I'm using Uno on a Win XP.

Isn't it great- always something new.

Castaic Ca
View Profile

smiley-mr-green Added question:
When I save a sketch, where is it saved. I use MY COMPUTER and cannot find it.
Also I need to delete useless sketches or rename them.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Welcome!

Think question 2 should be 1 smiley

1) Don't know makerShack ? but - http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/HomePage - has some nice getting started sketches..

2) There are different sections in this forum and you better follow the different sections for a few days (say a week) to see what kind of questions are in which section. Post your question in the appropiate section. Do not crosspost the same question in different groups as that is annoying for everyone in the end.

Last but not least : in the right upper corner is a search box so you can search the forum if anybody had the same or similar questions you have. That should be the first place to start.

Succes!

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

When I save a sketch, where is it saved. I use MY COMPUTER and cannot find it.
Also I need to delete useless sketches or rename them.

If you use the Save As option you will see the folder; It is also in the FIle-> preferences menu.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

Normally sketches are saved in "My Documents\Arduino\sketchname\sketchname.pde"
(or ~/Documents/Arduino/sketchname/sketchname.pde on a Mac.)

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Donduino

Organizing your work is important and can save your skin, not to mention a lot of work if something gets trashed.  A good time to be concerned about all this is with your first effort.  I can acquire a bad habit in a heartbeat and have a hard time creating a good one.  Here is a procedure that will work.  If you don't like it, improve it, but get organized.

In   Files -- Preferences ,  I put 

C:\___a_projects

for the sketchbook location and then build a directory structure in it for my projects

It will sort out to the top of C: when you look for it.  Easy to find and get to

Put it right above

C:\__arduino-0022  Where you install the release

Each time a new release of arduino comes out, you go through a flurry of copying libraries and looking back and forth.  It is simple and handy to put 

C:\__arduino-0023  right below 22

In the ___projects folder are sub directories 17, 18 ----- 22  containing release-specific  versions of projects.  Sometimes new releases of arduino are not happy with sketches that compiled nicely under an earlier versions.  This lets you keep track of what worked and when.  It makes it easy to back up a version to reassure yourself that it worked once.  Put a shortcut on the task bar that opens the current arduino installation directory.  It seems as if I am forever poking around in the installation directory to see how a library function works or to install a library,  From the installation directory convenient to click on the executable arduino file to invoke the program.  A click on the up-folder button and you can see the projects folder.

Each time you get a sketch to work and then decide to change it, save it with a sequential number:  bug_generator_01, bug_generator_02, bug_generator_03 ....  Each time you Save As something new. leave a functional sketch behind.

There are lots of ways to backup your work.  Assuming your are using a Windows machine This works like a champ, particularly if you can get Scheduled tasks to run the batch file occasionally:

xcopy C:\___a_projects  E:\___a_projects /D /E /C /I /Y /M
PAUSE

Good luck with your projects

Castaic Ca
View Profile

Wow. Thanks a lot folks. This is a big help.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Remember to look in   File -- Examples for get-started sketches

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: