Go Down

Topic: setting an angle on a continuous rotation servo (Read 2484 times) previous topic - next topic

SouthernAtHeart

Can you do this with a continous rotation servo?  ...tell it to turn to 45 degrees and stop there for instance? 

zoomkat

Google forum search: Use Google Advanced Search and use Http://forum.arduino.cc/index in the "site or domain:" box.

SouthernAtHeart

Hmmm, too bad.
A stepper motor looks like you can control it's exact position with code, but it lacks gear reduction for my application.

Yankee

You didn't say what your application is but stepper motors excel in low speed applications. Unlike a brushed DC motor they develop their highest torque at the lowest speed.

SouthernAtHeart

You didn't say what your application is but stepper motors excel in low speed applications. Unlike a brushed DC motor they develop their highest torque at the lowest speed.

Sure enough??!    Well, that might be exactly what I need then.  Tell me, would SparkFun's stepper motor:
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9238
work to open a drawer in this setting:
If I put a small rubber wheel on it (say, 1-1/12") and mounted it under the drawer.  The drawer would be the equivilent in weight of a silverware drawer or something, with new, quality drawer glides.  Right now I can slide it open and closed with 1 finger.  So I would be able to accurately open the drawer 8" without having to have some kind of limit switches?
This would be great.

CrossRoads

You could always have the motor run timed - run for 3 seconds or as determined experimentally to stop at the distance you want.
Or put the equivalent of a string out of sight on the back of the drawer that pulls a switch the arduino reads to know when to stop.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

SouthernAtHeart

I really like the stepper idea.  You say it's got good low RPM torque, but is this too slow?  I'd need about 2 revolutions to go 8 inches.  To move the drawer, it'd take 1-2 seconds.  Can a stepper motor work like that?

SouthernAtHeart

You can get stepper motors with reduction gear trains. You didn't mention whether you think you want gear reduction for low speed or for increased torque.

I suppose to open a drawer 8" with a 1 1/2" diameter wheel, @ diameter times pi, I'd only need 2 revolutions, and it would have to have a little time for the opening process, just roughing timing a normal open/close, I'd say 1.5 seconds. So that a speed of 90 RPM.  Does a stepper motor have enough torque for this little job at that speed?  Can you run a stepper motor at that speed?
thanks.

CrossRoads

"2 revolutions to go 8 inches"
so you're going to have a 4" circumference wheel to move the drawer in/out?
circumference = Pi x D, so a 4"/Pi = 1.27" diamater wheel. Do you have that much room under the drawer?
What happens as the wheel wears, or slips a little on a wet spot, or someone nudges it by accident as it starts?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

CrossRoads

Inkjet printers use stepper motors to slide the cartridge back & forth, right? Probably not as heavy as a silverware drawer, but  you can get motors in all capacities.
I saw a youtube video of a stepper motor spinnning something arouund at quite high speed. I bet 90 RPM is not a  problem.

SouthernAtHeart

Inkjet printers use stepper motors to slide the cartridge back & forth, right? Probably not as heavy as a silverware drawer, but  you can get motors in all capacities.
I saw a youtube video of a stepper motor spinnning something arouund at quite high speed. I bet 90 RPM is not a  problem.
...I was refering to 90 RPM as a 'low speed' not a 'high speed'.  So they must have good torque at, say, 60 RPM or something.  Slower would be better for the drawer.  2 seconds to open it would ensure no slipping.
Getting bumped out of sync won't be an issue.

SouthernAtHeart

...so, SparkFun's stepper motor wouldn't have enough power (torque) to open a drawer?

zoomkat

Dejavue

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=52393.0
Google forum search: Use Google Advanced Search and use Http://forum.arduino.cc/index in the "site or domain:" box.

SouthernAtHeart

Dejavue

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=52393.0

...sorry if I'm repeating myself.  To state the obvious, I'd like to get away from limit switches and sensors if possible.  I'm new to this stuff, and just wondering about the power of a stepper motor.  I didn't know a motor could have power at low speeds.  I'm used to motors running 1600-1700 RPM, what you'd find on a bench grinder.  I had no idea a motor could run this slow, but if a printer head motor doesn't use gear reduction, then it must be able to run pretty slow, which sounds like a perfect solution to me--a nice slow drawer opening with digital control as to it's where abouts, so no need of sensors or limit switches. 

Yankee

Steppers usually have a data sheet that will include a graph of the torque curve. You can use this to find the torque at a given speed. Unless the drawer is very heavy it shouldn't take a very large motor.

Go Up