Go Down

Topic: USB arduino ubuntu (Read 823 times) previous topic - next topic

ferra91

hi, I have a problem with the communication between pc and arduino board.. I installed the arduino software but when I want choose the port on which arduino will communicate with pc, ttyS0 is the only port available.. I think that I need to use ttyUSB0 port, but it is not shown in the list.. can you help me????? =(

Magician

It was discussed today:
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=53292.new;topicseen#new

ferra91

sorry, I can't speak english very well and I don't understand how I can solve the problem.. can you make me a summary?  :(

mrtaylor

Feb 26, 2011, 12:39 am Last Edit: Feb 26, 2011, 12:42 am by mrtaylor Reason: 1
which version of ubuntu are you running?
Which arduino board and arduino software version? Uno requires at least arduino software version 0021.

ferra91

which version of ubuntu are you running?
Which arduino board and arduino software version? Uno requires at least arduino software version 0021.

board:     arduino duemilanove
software: arduino IDE v.18

mrtaylor

I think that I need to use ttyUSB0 port

You are correct.  /dev/ttyUSB?

If the duemilanove has power
First thing I would do is try a different usb cable.
Then I would try running the arduino software as root (sudo arduino).
If running as root works:
    run the command "id" to ensure to you are a member of the dialout group. Add your user id to /etc/group if required
If running as root did not work (with the duemilanove plugged into the usb port):
    execute the command "dmesg".  look for a entry that looks like, "FTDI USB Serial Device converter now
        attached to ttyUSB0"
    execute the command "lsusb",  look for the entry, "Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC"

Post the output of these command.

ferra91

I think that I need to use ttyUSB0 port

You are correct.  /dev/ttyUSB?

If the duemilanove has power
First thing I would do is try a different usb cable.
Then I would try running the arduino software as root (sudo arduino).
If running as root works:
    run the command "id" to ensure to you are a member of the dialout group. Add your user id to /etc/group if required
If running as root did not work (with the duemilanove plugged into the usb port):
    execute the command "dmesg".  look for a entry that looks like, "FTDI USB Serial Device converter now
        attached to ttyUSB0"
    execute the command "lsusb",  look for the entry, "Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC"

Post the output of these command.

If I running arduino with "sudo arduino" it show me "ttyUSB0"!!! now pc and arduino can communicate!! thank you

mrtaylor

Go Up