Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino and USB fingerprint scanners.  (Read 1693 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Could anyone help me hack an usb fingerprint scanner or reader, i want to interface it to an arduino. I presume it'll be just like hacking an optical mouse. usb fingerprint scanners or readers are very cheap when compared to nitgen fingerprint modules, i can save a lot of money by hacking them. I would like to hear your opinion on this.

Thank you
Teja

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I would like to hear your opinion on this.
I bet you won't.

This will not work for two reasons.

1) The arduino is not a USB host and so connecting any USB client device is tricky to impossible.
2) Finger print scanners generate a lot of data, much more that the arduino can store in its RAM. Therefore you have to make off chip storage of some sort.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Having worked with fingerpint scanners I can only agree with Mike. A fingerprint in compressed form (features) takes minimal 500 bytes (probably 5000) . To analyse a fingerprint one has to make a scan and process the whole bitmap of minimal 100x200 bytes (grayscale 1 byte per pixel) = 20K , that is far more than one Arduino can handle, and that is the absolute minimal scenario. So my advice is buy a fingerprint module with built in recognition and "database". These have (serial) IO lines which can work very well with an Arduino.

Search the forum and you will find discussions like - http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1272027807 -

Tell us more about your project, what do you want to accomplish? may be interesting.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: