Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Input capture - what am I doing wrong here?  (Read 944 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Device is a Mega2560.

I'm working on interfacing to a GPS, and capturing the "1 pulse per second" signal that it outputs. Today I got things wired up and running, but I'm not having any luck with input capture. Partial code:

Code:
void timer_init() {
  pinMode(48, INPUT);
  pinMode(2, INPUT);
//  TCCR4A = _BV(COM4A1) | _BV(COM4A0);
  TCCR4A = 0;
  TCCR4B = _BV(CS41) | _BV(WGM42) | _BV(ICES4);
  TIMSK4 = _BV(OCIE4A) | _BV(ICIE4) | _BV(TOIE4);
  timer_set_interval(DEF_TIMER_VAL);
  timer_ready = 1;
  attachInterrupt(0, int4, RISING);
}

void timer_set_interval(unsigned short top) {
  OCR4A = top;
}

ISR(TIMER4_CAPT_vec) {
  Serial.print("PPS!\n");
}

void int4() {
  Serial.print("INT4 ");
  Serial.print(time_get_ns());
  Serial.print("\n");
}

timer_init() is called on startup, and there's an ISR(TIMER4_COMPA_vect) that does some timekeeping code that I didn't include -- it works just fine. I'm also running a mainloop that copies data from the GPS serial port (Serial1, pins 18/19) to the USB, which is also working alright.

The PPS line is normally 0V, but goes to 3V for a 1-microsecond pulse. If I wire it to pin 2, I can get the INT4 interrupt to fire, but if I wire it to pin 48 I get nothing. I was thinking that maybe the level or duration was too small for the input capture pin, so I also tried momentarily shorting pin 48 to the 3V3 and 5V lines, and still not a peep out of the interrupt handler, which leads me back to software. Do I have any obvious bugs? smiley

Italy
jayduino rox
View Profile

Device is a Mega2560.

pinMode(48, INPUT);

attachInterrupt(0, int4, RISING);

isn't int4 connected to pin 19 by default?

Juergen

View Profile

Pin 2 (it's what Arduino calls "interrupt 0" and Atmel calls INT4). Anyway, that one is working without any trouble.

Full code is now online @ http://cleverdomain.org/git/arduino/HEAD/tree

Italy
jayduino rox
View Profile

hm, ok, I try again.
PL1, which is pin 48, is also ICP5, hence Timer 5.
I think you should use pin49 (PL0->ICP4), or am I missing something?

Juergen

View Profile

That's certainly a good call -- unfortunately it's not doing anything on pin 49 either. I'm getting good results using pin 2, and I've started writing my PLL using that -- but I'd still like to get input capture working and not worry about how many microseconds I'm losing on the way into the ISR smiley

View Profile

After several days of ditching the problem and working on other parts of the code, I finally found out what was wrong with input capture, and I hate to say it, but it was a typo. Documenting it here in case anyone else ever has a similar problem and needs to google it.

If you define ISR(TIMER4_CAPT_vect), it gets macro-expanded into a function __vector_8 with flags that convince the linker to install it into the interrupt table. But if you define ISR(TIMER4_CAPT_vec), without the t it turns into a function ISR_CAPT_vec which silently does absolutely nothing.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: