Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: [Fixed] Unable to upload to AtMega328 on breadboard  (Read 3954 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I tried doing just what you are attempting and failed.  Resorted to putting the chip in an arduino, uploading the sketch, popping it out and putting it into the breadboard circuit.  That worked.  I'm curious to see if anyone has a solution that actually works to upload a sketch from a chipless arduino directly onto a breadboard mounted chip.

I built something for that a while ago, but doesn't require taking the chip out of the arduino:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,8084.0.html

I like that as well.  How is the switch connected to the socket?   I have several sockets coming from Sparkfun, So I'd probably like to give this a try.

Gatineau, Qu
Did you Arduino today?
View Profile

Hopefully they dont have older bootloader otherwise I want a refund from Sparkfun smiley

I get mine from Futurlec 3.50$ and I put the optiboot on them myself using the Arduino as ISP.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:47:42 pm by alparent » Logged

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks everyone for the help. Just glad its working.

Now to break it all and try and upgrade the bootloader  smiley-grin

View Profile

Thanks everyone for the help. Just glad its working.

Now to break it all and try and upgrade the bootloader  smiley-grin
Please keep us up to date on that. I think I need to update my Sparkfun chips too.

Apparently there is a member (WestFW, I think) here who corrected some of the bugs in the first version of optiboot. He also has a thread on how to put the new bootloader on UNO boards.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:30:54 pm by Loudhvx » Logged

Not USA
Arduino
View Profile

I tried doing just what you are attempting and failed.  Resorted to putting the chip in an arduino, uploading the sketch, popping it out and putting it into the breadboard circuit.  That worked.  I'm curious to see if anyone has a solution that actually works to upload a sketch from a chipless arduino directly onto a breadboard mounted chip.

I built something for that a while ago, but doesn't require taking the chip out of the arduino:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,8084.0.html

I like that as well.  How is the switch connected to the socket?   I have several sockets coming from Sparkfun, So I'd probably like to give this a try.

It was actually a little hellish with my thick fingers, but I drilled a hole through the side of the DIL socket, removed the pin from the socket and repositioned it through the hole and connected it to a pin on the switch which was glued there. Then from the other switch contact I set up a winding contact under the socket and to an added pin to finally connect back underneath the DIL socket pin.

I'm sure there is a market for a DIL socket with little DIP switches along the sides, breaking contacts if needed? I've found 2 uses for such a thing already - this one, and just today disabling the reset pin for burning bootloaders onto blank atmega328's.

3D Artist,Modeler, Texturer, Animator, Electronics and Robotics, Programming C, VB, Website Design, Flash animator

Too many hobbies?

View Profile

Thanks Crook. Yeah that seems a little hairy to put together. But I like the idea. I wonder if they make sockets with really long legs in a 28 pin size. I have some, but they are only 14 or 16 legs.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: