Go Down

Topic: Don't know how to start using XBee (Read 209 times) previous topic - next topic

Jun 11, 2015, 12:03 pm Last Edit: Jun 11, 2015, 12:11 pm by maxi0361
Sorry for asking dumb question, just start trying arduino a few days, got a new expansion shield and XBee bluetooth 2.0 (HC-06), but don't know where to look and start using them.

my setup:
Arduino UNO R3
Funduino I/O Expansion V5.0
Funduino XBee bluetooth HC-06
Arduino IDE 1.5.7

I have tried upload program to arduino, read write serial, blink, etc, didn't understand schematics.
digging information on XBee for a day, what I know is HC-06 is slave only, and only support SPP. and should program with AT command. but how do I do it? I just want to send/receive message from PC or android phone using bluetooth.

first problem,
what I have tried is plug I/O shield to my arduino, plug XBee to I/O shield, then load a sample code to it, it gives me error.
avrdude stk500_getsync(): not in sync resp=0x01
but if I unplug the I/O shield, arduino works without any error.

second problem, after I plug them together, then what could I do? I don't know which pin to control, or is there a SerialX that is for XBee?
I am guessing, the I/O shield is connected to UNO TxRx, so, if I write Serial.println("AT"), I should read back "OK"?

It would help if you had supplied links to the exact items your referring to but at a guess I would think the XBee shield can be configured to use the Arduino UART pins (pins 0, 1) or alternate pins with software serial and it's sitting on the UART pins preventing normal serial uploads of sketches.

If you have a reputable make of XBee bluetooth then you should find help on how to configure and use it from there site but just looking at there help files will point you in the right direction.

A quick google search give several options...
Don't PM me for help as I will ignore it.

thanks Riva. I don't know if Funduino is reputable or not, their website is German, I don't know German.

I am still trying to solve getsync() error.

thanks for your information.

Jun 11, 2015, 01:19 pm Last Edit: Jun 11, 2015, 01:20 pm by Riva
Where are the RS485/TTL jumpers set & the power jumpers?

Don't PM me for help as I will ignore it.

Sep 13, 2015, 10:11 am Last Edit: Sep 13, 2015, 10:12 am by madcattt
I have the same items & the same problem.
Here are my products with links
Funduino  I/O expansion shield v5

HC-06 Bluetooth Bee Bluetooth Wireless Module

My pins are in the default positions. I am not sure where to put them to get the bluetooth in AT mode. Any help would be appreciated.

Also when I run this passthrough code
Code: [Select]
void setup()
  // Set up both ports at 9600 baud. This value is most important
  // for the XBee. Make sure the baud rate matches the config
  // setting of your XBee.

void loop()
  if (Serial.available())
  { // If data comes in from serial monitor, send it out to XBee
  if (XBee.available())
  { // If data comes in from XBee, send it out to serial monitor

I get gibberish from the serial monitor. This is a copy paste from the monitor

I have tried various bits of code to communicate to the Bluetooth module and I get unreadable replies.
I have also tried other serial monitors as well and get the same thing...

My questions are these
How can I get into AT Mode with this setup? I have no switches on my units.
Why am I getting gibberish in the serial monitor? I have set the baud to be 9600 for the monitor

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sep 13, 2015, 10:21 am Last Edit: Sep 13, 2015, 10:22 am by madcattt
I see this is old and you probably figured this out but for anyone that comes along in the future.

The getsync() error is because before you can upload a sketch to the arduino you must first remove the xbee module from the shield. The XBee uses the Tx/Rx communication pins. These are the same pins the USB uses to talk to your PC. You must remove the XBee so that the pins are not used in order to let the Arduino use the USB connection.

Go Up